Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2 inch diagonal, should I shouldn't I?

28 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

If you wear eyeglasses whilst observing, then I would think that the wider fields-of-view of the oculars under consideration should help with that.

Mostly, it's long eye relief that helps the glasses wearer. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, John said:

My personal experience would lead me to try get a faster newt to run alongside the SCT for when I want wider fields of view. The SCT is a good scope but it's not a wide field one.

Not practical for all, I agree, so whatever route you choose, I hope it works out :icon_biggrin:

I've got just the thing; rather, FLO does instead...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-ds-ota.html

It would complement the 150mm Schmidt admirably with its 650mm focal-length and 2" two-speed focusser.  It weighs even less than the Schmidt; just swap them out at leisure upon the SE mount; one mount, two telescopes.  Such a union would make for an eminently compact and versatile observatory.

However, would the SE mount accommodate it?

In that case, you and have the wrong telescopes, perhaps.  Perhaps we should trade: my 150mm f/5 Newtonian for your 150mm f/10 Schmidt.  Deal?  The reason I say that is because I prefer the moderate-to-high powers...

58fdc0bccdfc0_6f5z8.jpg.23bacb69f0f03eb2023f98d3cf049d25.jpg

That one can realise a power as low as 19x, and with a field-of-view to match.  This wee 100mm f/4 even moreso...

58fdc12bf3a0c_Z100100mmf4Newtonian2a.jpg.be318b13c1064fc7a6122337a9c8b22d.jpg

Just look at what it can do, and at 13x...

011217-30mmNPL.jpg.be596e20fa817d69396224e75ec30086.jpg

Actually, I am planning to get a 127mm Maksutov this year.

Cheers,

The only problem I can see is if the Newt would be compatible with my mount, I'm sure there would be issues with contact with the base?

I think I will make all the purchases I have on my list and then rethink what to do about a possible change of telescope to suit my needs.

cheers

Richard

25 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

This mite be something I will consider because once I have the EP collection I want and the price is decent even brand new.

It is true I'm a fan of wide field views only because of my love of open clusters ?

Richard

Now that I think about it, whilst the optical-tube of the 130mm f/5 Newtonian is longer that the Schmidt(600mm vs. 340mm), the Newtonian can be slid forward via its tube-rings, and thereby to clear the mount-base of the SE, especially when viewing at or near the zenith.

• 6 months later...
On 24/04/2017 at 09:25, John said:

Mostly, it's long eye relief that helps the glasses wearer. 

Wider FOV is a boon for unguided, undriven scopes. Even equatorial mounts need that as Polaris targeting is never 100% and leaving a manual EM then catching up can require a wider FOV for re-centering. AA mounts practicality for catch-up if manual, means back to square one without a goto of some sort.

Long eye relief is also good for un-bespectacled viewers when looking between atlas, RDF, finder scope and main scope!

Slightly over the top (see photo) but I use this 2" SCT star diagonal with my 're-modded' ETX105 & C6.

PIC021.JPG.317e3ab5bc2a32848d576782c9caf3ab.JPG.4592fc6f2bbea546ef6fe542e1c067ae.JPG

I have a 'cheap' 1.25" star diagonal and the 2" gives better views on fainter objects. I also have two TeleVue 1.25" star diagonals. One came with my TeleVue Ranger, the other I purchased secondhand. They are excellent performers with my C6. I have yet to try them with the ETX since the 're-mod'.

The 2" star diagonal is a definite keeper. Should I decide to attach a camera to either my ETX or C6 I have the added security that it will not flex under the weight or without the risk of it slipping and damaging whatever is attached to it.

Archived