Narrowband

2 inch diagonal, should I shouldn't I?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

I've just crunched some numbers and apparently with a 20mm EP 100d I would have a 34mm field stop which means there would be a 7mm loss because of the 27mm baffle tube is this enough to be a problem though?

Richard

Your eye is just not that sensitive to vignetting so in my experience you will be fine. I will dig out a post I made a little while ago and link to it here.

53 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

That's a great read stu looks like my minds made up then.

I will purchase the 2 inch diagonal and be on the lookout for some bargains.

Richard

Good stuff. Perhaps start at 20mm 100 Degree and work up. If you buy used you have little risk if you decide to sell on.

16 minutes ago, SloMoe said:

Slomoe, I only generally comment on things I have tried. I was surprised that the vignetting on the 30mm eyepiece was not noticeable in my Mak, which is why I posted a thread on it. The general consensus backed up my experience, and confirmed that your eye is not so sensiitive to vignetting within certain limits.

Ultimately it is for each person to make up their mind what is acceptable and what is not. That is what I suggested buying used, and starting at the 20mm to reduce any risk of being caught out.

ok, what ever, you asked for advice on something you've already made your mind up about, why bother asking?

EDIT: ok, it the post that is now blank that I had posted a short time ago can't be edited back to what I had in there, it was a lot of rant about spending other peoples money, I'll butt out and go ahead and waste your money. 

EDIT #2: and of course it will work just fine in your C6 cause it worked in his Mak, two different scopes but what the heck it's just money.

16 minutes ago, SloMoe said:

ok, what ever, you asked for advice on something you've already made your mind up about, why bother asking?

EDIT: ok, it the post that is now blank that I had posted a short time ago can't be edited back to what I had in there, it was a lot of rant about spending other peoples money, I'll butt out and go ahead and waste your money. 

The point about asking is because this is a forum and it's what people do, whether they have made their minds up or not. It's different user experiences all under one roof and a great resource to tap into. 

1 hour ago, SloMoe said:

ok, last reply, Stu, why not just send him yours and let him use it to see if it works for him, that way he won't waste his money if he doesn't like it, it's just that easy.

SloMoe, I really don't know what you are getting het up about. I have simply said, from experience, that you can use eyepieces with a larger field stop than the baffle tube diameter of your scope and that your eye is not particularly sensitive to this vignetting. My experience was backed up by a number of members who had experimented in the same way and found similar results.

I did not ask for any advice in this thread, I posted some of my experiences.

Lastly l, please don't worry about the blank post. One of the joys of being a moderator is being able to see the full edit history of any post........ :)

I had a 2" diagonal for my C6 and quickly realised it wasn't worth it if you're trying to get a wider field of view as you have to match the field stop to the rather narrow baffle tube diameter. They say the widest field of view you can get from this scope is a 24mm Panoptic.

"So before I make this purchase I would like to hear everyone's opinion on this and personal experience"

This is what I posted and I stand by it, my mind was pretty much made up I just wanted to take into account what other people thought.

Thank you for your passionate response slomoe but if I do end up regretting switching to a 2" diagonal and end up selling it on at a loss which I don't think will happen but you never know.

The fault is my own no one else's I don't have to take anyone's advice but I'm just curious to find out and it's an itch I've been wanting to scratch for a while I just wanted people's advice and experience thank you for everyone's input.

Richard

5 minutes ago, Starpaw said:

I had a 2" diagonal for my C6 and quickly realised it wasn't worth it if you're trying to get a wider field of view as you have to match the field stop to the rather narrow baffle tube diameter. They say the widest field of view you can get from this scope is a 24mm Panoptic.

This is true Starpaw I don't plan on getting a 2 inch EP higher then a 20/21mm 100 degree EP which I think should be fine in my scope add the security I will get with my ethos eps I believe it's a good purchase but I know what you mean there is that limiting factor but there's always been that with my C6 I had the ES 68 degree EP and knew I couldn't go any wider it's just the nature of the scope.

Richard

23 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

"So before I make this purchase I would like to hear everyone's opinion on this and personal experience"

This is what I posted and I stand by it, my mind was pretty much made up I just wanted to take into account what other people thought.

Thank you for your passionate response slomoe but if I do end up regretting switching to a 2" diagonal and end up selling it on at a loss which I don't think will happen but you never know.

The fault is my own no one else's I don't have to take anyone's advice but I'm just curious to find out and it's an itch I've been watching to scratch for a while I just wanted people's advice and experience thank you for everyone's input.

Richard

Getting back to the Op`s ooriginal point about going with this diagonal, he wanted added ep security so is looking to upgrade the diagonal on a scope he likes, so on that basis it makes sense to purchase the nice decent one and then acquire EP`s that will work well with the set up 

2 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Getting back to the Op`s ooriginal point about going with this diagonal, he wanted added ep security so is looking to upgrade the diagonal on a scope he likes, so on that basis it makes sense to purchase the nice decent one and then acquire EP`s that will work well with the set up 

This is true nightfisher and my thoughts were if I'm going to upgrade to a better diagonal why not get one that offers the option of both 1.25 and 2" for flexibility.

Richard

1 hour ago, Richard Hather said:

My personal experience would lead me to try get a faster newt to run alongside the SCT for when I want wider fields of view. The SCT is a good scope but it's not a wide field one.

Not practical for all, I agree, so whatever route you choose, I hope it works out :icon_biggrin:

16 hours ago, Richard Hather said:

This is true nightfisher and my thoughts were if I'm going to upgrade to a better diagonal why not get one that offers the option of both 1.25 and 2" for flexibility.

Richard

If you wear eyeglasses whilst observing, then I would think that the wider fields-of-view of the oculars under consideration should help with that.

Archived