Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

SGL 2017 SP

JOC

Low Magnification, what is useful?

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, BGazing said:

Congratulations on your purchase? How old is that filter? I ask because Astronomik tightened recent production of OIII to 12nm... (I have the new version but am yet to try it on anything but Orion).

Interesting. I'm not sure but would assume it's the older version 

they are all fine, don't worry :)

1 person likes this

As daft as it sounds, I gave up chasing wider and wider eyepiece fields as it gets very expensive, very heavy and very large very quickly. What I established long ago is that if I want really wide fields (say more than 1-1.5 degrees), I am better off getting a scope with a shorter focal length.  Often these are a lot lighter and cheaper than the eyepieces like larger Naglers etc and also complement larger main scopes as they give options for e.g. solar and travel as they are usually smaller, faster refractors. Just a thought.

5 people like this

ps. all that said, I find about 1 degree (which is the max field in my bigger dobs (both f4 - f4.5 with Paracorr) with a 27mm Panoptic), is really quite an expanse of space and there are only a handful of showpiece objects which cannot fit into this field.

1 person likes this

I do wonder what peoples views are on low magnification, is it the max for a 6 mm exit pupil or like me anything below X 6.

Alan

Posted (edited)

If you make a conscious decision to forgo wide field views thats fine. Personally I find the Veil Nebula an absolutely superb DSO target and I'm not yet ready to miss out of viewing socking great chunks of it or even the whole thing with my 31 Nagler and F/6.5 102mm ED Vixen (21x 4.77mm eye relief). It's one of THE highlights of the viewing year for me and has been since I first managed to spot the object with a 100mm frac and the Baader UHC-S filter around a decade ago :icon_biggrin:

How many DSO's that we can view with a relatively small aperture on a warm dark night offer this level of detail to explore ? :grin:

Veil.big.jpg

Edited by John
3 people like this

4 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I do wonder what peoples views are on low magnification, is it the max for a 6 mm exit pupil or like me anything below X 6.

Alan

I guess this thread is generally aimed at low telescopic powers, rather than what I assume you are referring to which are widefield binoculars? Different propositions really.

I do love a nice widefield telescopic view, say 3.5 to 5 degrees. Enough power to show lovely detail but enough field to fit objects like the NAN or Veil in in their entirety. Lovely stuff.

6 minutes ago, John said:

If you make a conscious decision to forgo wide field views thats fine. Personally I find the Veil Nebula an absolutely superb DSO target and I'm not yet ready to miss out of viewing socking great chunks of it or even the whole thing with my 31 Nagler and F/6.5 102mm ED Vixen (21x 4.77mm eye relief). It's one of THE highlights of the viewing year for me and has been since I first managed to spot the object with a 100mm frac and the Baader UHC-S filter around a decade ago :icon_biggrin:

How many DSO's that we can view with a relatively small aperture on a warm dark night offer this level of detail to explore ? :grin:

Veil.big.jpg

I'm with you on this one John. I copied your Vixen/31 Nag setup quite a few years ago now and whilst my kit changes quite frequently, I'm still able to access this sort of field of view with the Tak/40mm TMB. Not quite the optimum I know but still fab under the right conditions.

Best I had was the Genesis/Nag combination giving a very flat 5 degrees :) 

1 person likes this