SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dslr controller app, android

nightfisher

Does any one here use the DSLR controller app with android, its been around a good while, but i have only just found it, always late to the party lol

I have a Lenovo 8" tablet and it would be really nice to use the app when doing Luna imaging, any one got thoughts on this app

The first thing you should do is downlaod the free shutter release program ChainFire does, If that works with your tablet and camera then the full app DSLR Controller will work (which was a paid app when I got it a few years back). It is an excellent app.

2 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

The first thing you should do is downlaod the free shutter release program ChainFire does, If that works with your tablet and camera then the full app DSLR Controller will work (which was a paid app when I got it a few years back). It is an excellent app.

+1. I use it with my 6D but find it works best using a lead, not the wifi hotspot option. Top app!

I also use it occasionally on both a 6D and 650D and it is good. As mentioned it works better with a wired connection but that only works on my recent phone as my old one didn't have OTG.

One tip if you use lenses, set the camera to back button focus, so that when you release the shutter it doesn't try to focus the lens.

Overall it is a good app.

You'll want an OTG cable, connect into your Canon the USB lead then to the OTG cable to connect to your tablet.

To follow on from Stuart's comment I do use back button focus all the time. Do make sure the camera in on single frame setting and not burst mode.

Forgot to mention - one of the main features of the app for me is focus peaking when using UWA manual focus lenses e.g. Samyang 14mm - extremely useful for regular daytime shooting, especially with a shallow DOF.

7 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Can you remember how much the app cost?

In the app store i looked yesterday it was I think 7.99. I prefer DSLR Controller to DSLR dashboard which may be cheaper but I have it installed but don't use it.

Edit: looks like I didn't bother putting it back when I rebuilt my tablet.

Putting this on hold for time being as i dont want to buy the app and find some thing is not compatible, managed to get EOS utilities working properly so will see how i go with this

Archived