SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help connecting DSLR to eyepiece to EdgeHD telescope

I am a complete novice with Astronomy and  photography and really want to try and get to grips with the kit I have bought.

For now I would like to take pictures of Jupiter and the moon and then progress to auto tracking and deep space photography.

I have a canon EOS DSLR, Celestron Advanced VX EdgeHD (8") with various badeer hyperion eyepieces. I have the 0.7 focal reducer and T-adapter and M43 T-2 adapter and canon EOS T mount.

I can connect camera to hyperion eyepiece and put that in the upgraded altair star diagonal and badeer click lock.

My concern is weight of the camera and correct balancing and how secure during telescope movements ... I would like to try and connect camera to eyepiece to scope without a diagonal.

Is it possible to connect the 1.25" end of the eyepiece to the T-Adapter which connects to reducer lens which connects to telescope ? What adapters would I need ?

I would also like to see how a barlow lens and filters work.

I bought all my kit from Tring Astro but they havent been able to tell me how to do this.

I am somewhat frustrated and confused having spent days trawling through the web looking for the answer.

I too have an Edge 8 on an avx and have my DSLR on my zoom eyepiece. The benefit of using the diagonal at least for me is to keep the balance point further forward, I also use the ADM counterweight -on the front of the rail. As to connecting your DSLR to the eyepiece their is an adapter which goes from the t-ring to the eyepiece, the eyepiece then slots into the diagonal. My zoom lens is set up to the 2" collar which allows the 2.25x barlow to sit inside the diagonal and that whole assembly is held securely by clicklock on the back of the reducer

Edge  (2).jpg

Edge  (1).jpg

Hi Andy,

thats really helpful ... I had no idea you could put a counterweight on the front of the rail.

Would you mind posting a list of the upgrades you have on your scope ? ... I would like to check them out.

thanks

Richard

The space between reducer and dSLR chip needs to be 105mm from memory to keep stars at edge of frame flat, you'd be best to connect the dSLR to a t ring and straight to the t ring to reducer adaptor.

Forget the eyepiece, what your trying to achieve is making the scope into a very large lens for your dSLR.

Knobby, I have previously connected the DSLR to the reducer and taken pictures of the moon, but I wanted to take pictures of Jupiter and wanted to try and capture what I see when looking through the 8mm eyepiece.

Andy .. no need to post the upgrades .. I found them by googling. I ordered the counterweight and look forward to trying the same setup as you showed.

There wasn't really any difference as far as image quality went at the time as it's my di-electric from my SW ed80, that may have changed now I've had my DSLR modified so I'll be interested to see on that one. The primary reason for using my diagonal last session is I had my tripod quite low so it just made life easier but I don't use it as a rule.

Archived