Narrowband

New additions to the Astro family!

Congratulations to the new addtions.

C8 is very compact for it's aperture,  doesn't need to collimate as often as a newt, but you do need to check and do the collimation from time to time.  If you're not familiar with collimating a SCT, I'd warm recoomend this guide

https://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=548

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, YKSE said:

C8 is very compact for it's aperture,  doesn't need to collimate as often as a newt, but you do need to check and do the collimation from time to time.  If you're not familiar with collimating a SCT, I'd warm recoomend this guide

Worth getting the collimation as good as possible with an SCT. They seem to suffer more than some other designs if it's out a bit. The consolation is that once set, they hold collimation well and for some time :icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, YKSE said:

Thanks for the link. I tied collimating the SCT last night in doors with a Hubble star I got. Didn't get it as good as I would have liked, so need to redo it again to nail it down.

1 hour ago, John said:

Worth getting the collimation as good as possible with an SCT. They seem to suffer more than some other designs if it's out a bit. The consolation is that once set, they hold collimation well and for some time :icon_biggrin:

Hi John. Yes, last night the images where a little soft, with some flaring to one side of the stars. Need to get the collimation spot on as last night it wasn't, although it seemed better on one way when putting out of focus (not sure if it was inward or outward focus), but not so good when it was the opposite way out of focus if that makes any sense?

On the plus side I got some nice views of some galaxies, globulars etc, so once I get it correctly collimated it will be an awesome scope methinks! :) 

Indeed Gus, it will make a big difference if you get your SCT spot on, I can certainly vouch for that one :) 

Also adding the 0.63 reducer tightens up the stars quite noticeably I found, not a hundred miles away from being as good as the C8 Edge HD version! (I've owned both versions just not at the same time).

This might help:

4 hours ago, Chris Lock said:

Indeed Gus, it will make a big difference if you get your SCT spot on, I can certainly vouch for that one :) 

Also adding the 0.63 reducer tightens up the stars quite noticeably I found, not a hundred miles away from being as good as the C8 Edge HD version! (I've owned both versions just not at the same time).

This might help:

Thanks Chris. I watched that video the other night. Going to try it again after I've walked my dog. Fingers crossed. :) 

Managed to get some further collimation done with the Hubble star tonight . Got a much better collimation setting tonight when out of focus both ways when seeing the airey disk. Now I just need to test it out on some real stars again. Sadly, clouds and rain stopping that at the moment alas, but more confident that it will be better when I do see some stars. :) 

2 hours ago, Solar B said:

I think the Uni 28 with Skytee 2 is the way to go as you don't require a pillar extension when using a longer FL refractor ?

Brian 

Yes, was just talking about this earlier on this morning with someone else. I just need to get the normal feet for the mount rather than the pointy ones that was on it. They should arrive sometime next week. :) 

Archived