Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera Upgrade Itch

kirkster501

You can block off the OAG port with a cap that comes with the camera, so you don't have to use it. I don't use the OAG for example when the QSI is on the dual rig. The Lodestar is used a lot as the C mount of the Lodestar can screw directly into the C mount of the OAG. When you buy a QSI with the OAG, you can specify what thread you want on the end of it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, gnomus said:

Ouch.  It is just as well that I edited my last post.  I was going to suggest a triple rig with Tec in the middle and an FSQ85 straddling either side, attached to a pair of QSI683s fully loaded with 3nm Astrodons.

:icon_biggrin:

[Oh. And a Lunt doble stack on top of the Tec.]

Can't see any problem with that, I'm working up to it, just need another QSI683 for a triple rig :grin:

Dave

Bit-of-a-squeeze2.png.af7ac585898e2e975cd8816b143dd521.png

I see that the OAG pick-off prism is *in front* of the filter wheel on the QSI/FW combo.  So that eliminates any faffing about with filters not being parfocal or between filters of different manufacture?

If autofocus moves the focuser - and hence the camera/OAG - then I take it that the OAG camera can lose the guide star?

I would not rule out the QHY Steve.

I used the QHY5iiL for a couple of years and it is a great guide cam - very sensitive, choice of screw thread options (as Sara said) and solid usb connections.  I never had any issue finding guide stars.

3 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

I see that the OAG pick-off prism is *in front* of the filter wheel on the QSI/FW combo.  So that eliminates any faffing about with filters not being parfocal or between filters of different manufacture?

If autofocus moves the focuser - and hence the camera/OAG - then I take it that the OAG camera can lose the guide star?

In SGP there is an option when using an OAG to stop guiding when auto focusing.  With an OAG the guide star will become seriously defocued during AF.  PHD2 has a 'sticky lock' meaning that the same star will be used when guiding re-acquires the star after AF.  There will be drift when guiding is temporarily halted during AF (it is inevitable to some degree) and the ideas is that this will prevent a different star being selected and minimising any image centre drift over the evening's session.  It is important to make sure you increase the size of the search region in PHD2 to aid this function.

HTH

I pause guiding during auto focus and even with Ha focusing (45s per focus point), 1200mm focal length and a PHD guide box of 20 pixels, the star is always within the box when guiding starts back up again..... I let the guider settle within SGP and it starts when ready

If you're spending the money I'd get the Loadstar, I've used an Orion SSAG (basically a QHY5) and Loadstar in OAG and the Loadstar gets more stars especially when aiming out of the galaxy.

Dave

Archived