Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to find the asteroid on stellarium

Clear outside (I mistakenly call it cloudy nights) has promised me some stars tonight. I was hoping to see  (look for) JO25 but I can't get it to appear on stellarium. I've been clicking on loads of stuff around the solar system plug-in but with no luck. Does anybody have the patience to explain how to get it?

24 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

It'll be crossing the Meridian just above Jupiter tonight going quickly so catch it if you can.

Dave

Hoping to catch it tonight if the weather plays nice with my new addition to my scope family, a Celestron C8 SCT. Fingers crossed! :) 

Just now, Knighty2112 said:

Hoping to catch it tonight if the weather plays nice with my new addition to my scope family, a Celestron C8 SCT. Fingers crossed! :) 

Got it with 10"SCT last night, the small FOV  and fast movement makes it tricky.

Dave

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Got it with 10"SCT last night, the small FOV  and fast movement makes it tricky.

Dave

Got a focal reducer too with the scope to drop it from been an f10 to f6.3, so hoping with a 30mm ED EP to have a wider FOV to track it on my Goto mount hopefully. :) 

Just now, Knighty2112 said:

Got a focal reducer too with the scope to drop it from been an f10 to f6.3, so hoping with a 30mm ED EP to have a wider FOV to track it on my Goto mount hopefully. :) 

I was using 6.3f/r, unless you can enter ephemerids into your mount you have to track it manually with the hand control, one false move and it's gone :grin:

Dave

I used the 31mm Nagler with my 12" dob to see the asteroid last night. Thats a 1.6 degree true field which would take the asteroid a bit over 30 mins to traverse. Once found though, it was quite easy to loose if you took your eye off of it. The movement against the stars was noticable when it was close (in line of sight terms) to other stars in the sky but much less so when it was against more barren patches of sky.  

I was using a 0.22 degree fov at times last breath got and it was quite easy to track. I used much wider initially using my Tak as a Finder to get to the right star field.

Somehow wasn't expecting there to be a chance of it again tonight but weather looking worse and it is dimmer so seems even trickier!

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Somehow wasn't expecting there to be a chance of it again tonight but weather looking worse and it is dimmer so seems even trickier!

Yes, for some reason I tended to think of last night as the best shot at it. I guess it's still around tonight though.

Anyone Imaged it yet , and what magnitude is it now ?
I've seen a picture on a Blogspot showing it crossing the sky bracketed by Satellites whizzing by.
The image created with 10 x120 second exposures. Looks very good too.

2 hours ago, barkis said:

Anyone Imaged it yet , and what magnitude is it now ?
I've seen a picture on a Blogspot showing it crossing the sky bracketed by Satellites whizzing by.
The image created with 10 x120 second exposures. Looks very good too.

Posted my timelapse of it on here in the appropriate section.

Mag 11 something ATM 13 tomorrow going past Jupiter

Dave

1 hour ago, Guy Wells said:

We have observed it and submitted our data.
It is currently mag +11.5

What did you measure it at last night Guy? I estimated it at around mag 10.4 but difficult to judge due to hazy cloud

15 hours ago, Guy Wells said:

We were unable to observe it last night due to bad weather. Your visual estimate would only be slightly brighter than than current photometry suggests.

Thanks Guy.

Archived