Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_satellites_v2.jpg

YKSE

finally, a DSO night for a long long time

8 posts in this topic

After snow on Easter holidays, weather started to improve somewhat, with a clear night on 18/4, not that many dark nights left before the white summer.

Wind: 2-1m/s(forecast 2-1m/s)

Temp: 2° to -2°(forecast 4° to -1°)

Humidity: 41%-66%humidity ((forecast 54%-83%), dew heater not on, no sign of dew anywhere.

SQM:20.9-21.1,  transparency: average

The trusty C8 is the scope, with the Sun setting at around 20:30, it got proper dark about 22:30. Had some minutes on Jupiter before it got dark, not so good seeing when it has been a good sunny day.

Some brighter DSOs were tested first when SQM started to show 20.1.

PK 194+02.01 (PN in Gemini, mag 11.6, SB 7.3),  71x, stella, brightens with UHC, 246x no filter, sign of none-stella fainter edge, 440x definitely none stella with a faint star very close.

NGC 2396 (OC in Puppis, mag 7.4, SB 12.1),  71x, Easy direct vision(DV). averted vison(A)V showed more faint patches, not so speculative though, one of the easier Herschel II DSO.

NGC 2415 (galaxy in Puppis, mag 11.8, SB 11.3),  zooming around 150x, AV popped the galaxy. a Herschel II galaxy:wink:.

NGC 2525 (galaxy in Puppis, mag 7.4, SB 12.1 mag 11.5, SB 13.2),  zooming around 150x, also in AV, about round fuzzy too. Herschel II galaxy

NGC 2765 (galaxy in Hydra, mag 12.2, SB 12.8),  zooming around 150x, also in AV, about round fuzzy too. Herschel II galaxy Almost DV in 71x, round, AV showed elongated shape, PA90

NGC 2781 (galaxy in Hydra, mag 11.5, SB 13.1, 3.1'x1.8'), couldn't get it in 71x after good time on EP. checking the chart afterwards, looks like the very bright core might caused my miss-conception about suitable mag. shall revisit it.

NGC 2855 (galaxy in Hydra, mag 11.6, SB 13.0, 2.4'x1.9'),  an easier Herschel II galaxy, brighter core in DV in 71x, AV showed elongated, position angle(PA)10.

NGC 2889 (galaxy in Hydra, mag 11.6, SB 12.9, 2.3'x1.9'),  on paper, almost the same as NGC 2855 above and not far from each other, but a lot of more difficult in reality, 71x in AV in many minutes started to show a round fuzzy.

Not many DSO this time, but it always feels better you can go out under

Clear sky!

Edited by YKSE
Copy&paste error
9 people like this

1 hour ago, YKSE said:

After snow on Easter holidays, weather started to improve somewhat, with a clear night on 18/4, not that many dark nights left before the white summer.

Humidity: 41%-66%humidity ((forecast 54%-83%), dew heater not on, no sign of dew anywhere.

The trusty C8 is the scope, with the Sun setting at around 20:30, it got proper dark about 22:30. Had some minutes on Jupiter before it got dark, not so good seeing when it has been a good sunny day.

PK 194+02.01 (PN in Gemini, mag 11.6, SB 7.3),  71x, stella, brightens with UHC, 246x no filter, sign of none-stella fainter edge, 440x definitely none stella with a faint star very close.

NGC 2396 (OC in Puppis, mag 7.4, SB 12.1),  71x, Easy direct vision(DV). averted vison(A)V showed more faint patches, not so speculative though, one of the easier Herschel II DSO.

NGC 2415 (galaxy in Puppis, mag 11.8, SB 11.3),  zooming around 150x, AV popped the galaxy. a Herschel II galaxy:wink:.

NGC 2525 (galaxy in Puppis, mag 7.4, SB 12.1),  zooming around 150x, also in AV, about round fuzzy too. Herschel II galaxy

NGC 2765 (galaxy in Hydra, mag 12.2, SB 12.8),  zooming around 150x, also in AV, about round fuzzy too. Herschel II galaxy

NGC 2781 (galaxy in Hydra, mag 11.5, SB 13.1, 3.1'x1.8'), couldn't get it in 71x after good time on EP. checking the chart afterwards, looks like the very bright core might caused my miss-conception about suitable mag. shall revisit it.

NGC 2855 (galaxy in Hydra, mag 11.6, SB 13.0, 2.4'x1.9'),  an easier Herschel II galaxy, brighter core in DV in 71x, AV showed elongated, position angle(PA)10.

NGC 2889 (galaxy in Hydra, mag 11.6, SB 12.9, 2.3'x1.9'),  on paper, almost the same as NGC 2855 above and not far from each other, but a lot of more difficult in reality, 71x in AV in many minutes started to show a round fuzzy.

Clear sky!

1 hour ago, YKSE said:

NGC 2525 (galaxy in Puppis, mag 7.4, SB 12.1),  zooming around 150x, also in AV, about round fuzzy too. Herschel II galaxy

NGC 2765 (galaxy in Hydra, mag 12.2, SB 12.8),  zooming around 150x, also in AV, about round fuzzy too. Herschel II galaxy

Clear sky!

Nice haul! I'm getting a C8 tonight off a member on SGL, so this gives me a good idea what I'll be able to see with it under good conditions. Hoping to get to use it for a first light when I am back home tomorrow night. Cheers! :) 

Yes, C8 is a very good all-round scope, an excellent faint fuzzies-hunter under a dark sky.:smiley:

A lovely report and most welcome I'm off hunting this weekend with a list including the Hercules Galaxy cluster before summer kills the night sky...thanks for sharing 

2 people like this

Nice report. Winter doesn't seem long ago at all and yet here we are with the darkness disappearing rapidly. A few good BBQs should compensate for the lack of telescoping in the coming months :).

1 person likes this

What a detailed and good report  :smiley:. Doubt if I ever get even Close to Your observing Level.

One question : You refer to the Galaxy  NGC 2415 in Puppis. I find this one in Lynx/ bordering Gemini?

Rune

1 person likes this

Thank you for your report. Appreciate the detail. Very educational to me. I have very little experience here and reading reports of more seasoned observers is very helpful.

3 people like this

8 hours ago, Pondus said:

What a detailed and good report  :smiley:. Doubt if I ever get even Close to Your observing Level.

One question : You refer to the Galaxy  NGC 2415 in Puppis. I find this one in Lynx/ bordering Gemini?

Rune

You're right Rune, that's another copy&paste typo. With Goto, it's easy just key in the NGC number and observe, without noticing some other details.

1 person likes this