SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My Favorite Tautology

iPeace

Milky Way Galaxy.

:happy11:

P.S. I have no illusions that this one is original, but it came to me recently during selection of desert at a very nice Greek restaurant. Couldn't resist the desire to share.

P.P.S. After a nice desert, we went for dessert as well.

:rolleyes2:

I live in one, sort of. The valley I live in is callled the Gordano Valley. Apparently the word Gordano in old english means "Triangular Valley" so Gordano Valley is actually Triangular Valley, Valley :rolleyes2: (hope that is a tautology of sorts)

When you look at an aerial view of the area you can see where the name comes from I think:

3737067_94203ce7.jpg

1 hour ago, iPeace said:

Milky Way Galaxy.

Would not say that is a tautology, you are not saying the same thing twice. The term "Milky Way" is not an alternative word for "Galaxy". Otherwise what is The Andromeda Galaxy, The Andromeda Miky Way ?

Since "Avon" means "River" then The River Avon means River River. There is one, and I had thought it was the Avon, that comes as River River River. Suppose it could be The Severn. I suspect a lot of our "rivers" are the old Engish word for "River" in whatever region they are situated. A few will come from Danish, Norse and Old English.

22 minutes ago, ronin said:

Would not say that is a tautology, you are not saying the same thing twice. The term "Milky Way" is not an alternative word for "Galaxy". Otherwise what is The Andromeda Galaxy, The Andromeda Miky Way ?

Since "Avon" means "River" then The River Avon means River River. There is one, and I had thought it was the Avon, that comes as River River River. Suppose it could be The Severn. I suspect a lot of our "rivers" are the old Engish word for "River" in whatever region they are situated. A few will come from Danish, Norse and Old English.

Good point. Check out the origin of the word "galaxy".

:happy11:

Archived