stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

are the heq5 belt upgrades worth it

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Absolutely! ...AND the reduction in noise?  Did I mention how much I like that?  It's quiet.  SHhhh.

well guys thanks for all the comments,ordered yesterday came this morning and just fitted,wow the noise difference is quite a lot ,backlash gone just need to test in the field now,so dont bother getti

I did the Rowan belt Mod on my heq5 pro. Definitely worth doing. The horrible old rattle starting up and ending slewing has gone. Backlash has gone and it is so quiet and smooth. It's money worth spen

On 23.4.2017. at 11:40, LightBucket said:

so what is the weight limits of the EQ6 and the NEQ6... is there much difference...? Between them and the HEQ5

Heq5: 12kg / 15kg  (photo / visual)

EQ6/ NEQ6 / NEQ6-R: 15kg / 20kg (photo / visual)

Heq5 is a bit lighter mount than EQ6 variants. They have a bit different drive system (different motors, worm periods, ...)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Heq5: 12kg / 15kg  (photo / visual)

EQ6/ NEQ6 / NEQ6-R: 15kg / 20kg (photo / visual)

Heq5 is a bit lighter mount than EQ6 variants. They have a bit different drive system (different motors, worm periods, ...)

So it's not just a case of doing the belt mod, and replacing the HEQ5 motors for the same ones as the NEQ6 then, and then you have the same mount...? :)

3 hours ago, LightBucket said:

So it's not just a case of doing the belt mod, and replacing the HEQ5 motors for the same ones as the NEQ6 then, and then you have the same mount...? :)

The capacity of a mount is to do with the physical size of the mechanical parts.
The EQ6 is bigger and more 'meaty' in every way compared to the HEQ5. 
EQ6 has larger diameter shafts on RA and DEC with corresponding larger bearings, worm shafts are larger with larger bearings. The casting much larger too.
Unfortunately it's not possible to modify the HEQ5 to achieve the same capacity as the EQ6 

If your mount is struggling with the weight, to only way forward is to go for a larger mount or use a smaller / lighter scope.
The belt mod is designed to improve tracking accuracy and reduce backlash.  

• Like 1