Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My new EQ3 mount

The Warthog

Understand that I have been using the German Equatorial Mount that is sold with low-end Meade telescopes, for at least six years, and you will understand my delight with this new tool. Conditions tonight are a bit challenging, as the temperature is at best -11, and there is a wind.

I decided I had to replace my old mount, mainly because I had damaged the RA cog, and had some difficulty tracking things, in at least part of the circle. I was also unhappy with the continual shaking I had encountered with the old mount. I was going to get the EQ2 mount, as it would have been adequate for my scope, a 4.5" Newt weighing 6 lbs. I wanted the wooden tripod, for its increased stability. The dealer had EQ3s on special, so I got the 3 instead, with a little trepidation, as the price was still more than I had budgeted.

On putting together the mount, the first thing I noticed was how much more solidly the EQ3 was built than the older mount. Instead of the "Grunt, lift, and tighten" latitude setting of the Meade mount, there is a screw that moves it elegantly to where you want it. The tripod is much more substantial than the aluminium one I have been using. The setting circles are of a much higher quality than the stamped steel ones I have been using, being etched, apparently stainless steel. The RA finder has a vernier scale that I will never be able to use, with my eyesight, except in daylight, but it's a good idea. The slow motion cables are sturdy, but short, and one is slightly longer than the other. I put the longer one on the RA circle, and the shorter one on the declination, pointing forward along the tube where it is easy to find, and I am used to having it. The mount is supplied with a short wedge, but my scope came with a home-made wedge of oak, and it fit perfectly.

I'm not doing astrophotography, and at -11 degrees you don't want to spend any more time not observing than you need to, so I roughly polar aligned it (got Polaris more or less in the centre of the finder, and made the sign of the cross over it,) and pointed at Megreb, or whatever it is, in Orion.

Focusing was made much easier by the fact that the scope isn't wiggling all over the place when I touch the focusing knob. With the axes unlocked, the scope stays where I left it until I decide to lock the axes. Locking the axes doesn't cause the scope to drift off target, either. This mount hardly shakes at all. I am used to waiting three to four seconds for any vibration to damp down, but this mount stops shaking within a half second of being substantially bumped, and using the slow motion controls doesn't cause the scope to vibrate at all. This might sound like an odd thing to say, but I have been used to shaking when I used the slow motion cables, and even when I let go of a cable.

The wind picked up to a 15 - 25km breeze, causing some vibration to the scope, but not a lot. If that breeze had not been accompanied by some bitterly cold temperatures, I would have stayed out longer.

I don't know what else to say about my first 'light' with this mount. I am thoroughly pleased with it. It may be a bit overconfigured to a 6lb scope, but I will undoubtedly have heavier scopes later on, and in any case, the rock solid nature of the mount is worth the extra money I paid for it.

Nope. The polar alignment scope is another fifty bucks. I think I am going to get the RA motor first. This may seem a little counter-intuitive, but I am doing visual astronomy, and can use the motor to track things even if I have to tweak the declination a little from time to time.

Hi WH, I'm sure that you will be really chuffed with the EQ3. I had one very breifly and actually thought that it was a better made mount than the EQ5. I observed with a 8" F/5 on the EQ3 for a few weeks...

James had a 8" F/5 scope on the EQ3 for ages.

The EQ3 I thought was smoother than the EQ5, but the EQ5 can take more weight!

HAve fun

Ant

Archived