Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Optimism

Wardr77

Well the BBC says the skies will start to clear at 2130 in my neck of the woods and then fully clear through to the early hours of the morning. So the scope is outside cooling under 100% cloud cover and if I didn't know any better the real possibility of rain. An additional waterproof cover is on standby just in case... 

So hopefully, quite soon, I will be going outside and hopefully I will be some time. 

Will report back as to how well founded my optimism in the Met Office is or is not placed.

I'm near Maidstone in Kent.

Too many times I have seen the forecast to show clear skies not believed it due to 100% cloud cover, not set up and then regretted it. So tonight I have decided to think positively!

Just looked out the window... no breaks in the cloud.. yet.

1 minute ago, Wardr77 said:

I'm near Maidstone in Kent.

Too many times I have seen the forecast to show clear skies not believed it due to 100% cloud cover, not set up and then regretted it. So tonight I have decided to think positively!

Just looked out the window... no breaks in the cloud.. yet.

I am down in Hadlow so not far from you, gong to get my kit ready but cant have a late one tonight. Surprised how quickly the clouds vanished Sunday night, and how quickly they came back again.

4 minutes ago, JonC said:

I am down in Hadlow so not far from you, gong to get my kit ready but cant have a late one tonight. Surprised how quickly the clouds vanished Sunday night, and how quickly they came back again.

Same here, work tomorrow...boo.

It is odd, I've noticed this too in the past, clouds come rolling in, they appear to be thick from horizon to horizon and then by the time I have disassembled the scope it can be pretty much clear again. 

20 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Skies clearing in Norwich. I'm looking at Jupiter and Arcturus out the window right now. Scope cooling while I wait for it to get a bit darker :)

Good luck. Still no breaks in the cloud here, but in only 1 hour there WILL be pristine clear skies...

Still nothing... not even a break in the cloud... just checked BBC ... now showing the 'cloud over the moon' image thing and clear at midnight ... grrr.. Will carry on reading the April edition of AN, interspersed with random youtube videos...

Blimey, clouds are disapparing here in Norway. Should have been an optimist and put the Scope out for cooling an hour ago, but pessimists dont do Things like that....  :sad2:

and theres only a week left of the dso season up here at 59N...

Found M101. Embarrased to admit Ive never found it before. Incredible transparency (were there are no clouds...). Magnificent black background. using 8 dob, ES20.

(I never use the intelliscope feature btw)

So that was it then. Totally clouded over. Approx 45 minutes session :

A Nice jupiter at 60x, Leo triplets, and Messier 101 which I must say was surprisingly Bright and easy to spot.

M101`s size took me by surprise even though I know its angular size and I`ve seen plenty of sketches.

Now I`m gonna sit back and see if there are any reports popping in from UK. :).

Well that all worked out rather well! Skies completely cleared shortly after my last post, and now back in after a cracking session. Still beautiful clear skies out there, but sleep is needed, work is not going to be good today.

Hope everyone else managed good sessions too!

Archived