Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

6 inch Refractor- recommendation/suggestions

Just now, Stu said:

Yep, that's the same scope. Davey-T has one I think?

17 minutes ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

Hi all,  I am on the waiting list for an Altair Starwave 152 v2 Frac. If I get very impatient is there a quality alternative scope of the same speck from a different maker. For example Bresser, Skywatcher, or is it better to wait for the Starwave. 

And the site suggests it's in stock :evil4:

1 hour ago, Starpaw said:

Thanks for the info I was aware of these alternatives and was trying to find out if any of them were of a similar quality to the AA version.

I think the Telescopes Services (TS) one is pretty much the same thing as the Altair Astro one. In the USA there are more brandings of the same scope but here I think Altair and TS are the only ones on this side of the pond now that Lyra Optics has stopped trading (they were the 1st to import this model as far as I'm aware).

The CA control of this scope is reputed to be in the same league as the chinese 150mm F/8's which is quite an acheivement for an F/5.9. Worth holding on for one of these I'd have thought.

4 minutes ago, moriniboy said:

They look the same, apart from the focuser and colour.

I would wait.

ts-152mm-rich-field-refractor-telescope-1000.thumb.jpg.bf45b8d43131758e53c3cc2508fcd71b.jpg

P1000313 - Copy.JPG

I do like the red, I'll admit! Not sure of the requirement for a 3" focuser?

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

I do like the red, I'll admit! Not sure of the requirement for a 3" focuser?

It's for the 3" Ethos eyepieces that are coming at Christmas, Stu :wink:

I have the Altair version, albeit in boring white, and it is utterly brilliant. Be patient, Garry, you will not regret the wait when it comes :smile: 

3 minutes ago, DRT said:

It's for the 3" Ethos eyepieces that are coming at Christmas, Stu :wink:

I have the Altair version, albeit in boring white, and it is utterly brilliant. Be patient, Garry, you will not regret the wait when it comes :smile: 

Are the optics likely to be any better in the Altair Derek? There is sort of an implication that they are specially picked, or 'hand made'?

Just now, Stu said:

Are the optics likely to be any better in the Altair Derek? There is sort of an implication that they are specially picked, or 'hand made'?

I don't know, Stu. I think every manufacturer would claim to have picked the best but what I do know is that the one I have from Altair is excellent.

In hindsight we should have mounted mine and @Davey-T's side by side at the star party a couple of weeks ago :rolleyes2:

23 hours ago, John said:

I think the Telescopes Services (TS) one is pretty much the same thing as the Altair Astro one. In the USA there are more brandings of the same scope but here I think Altair and TS are the only ones on this side of the pond now that Lyra Optics has stopped trading (they were the 1st to import this model as far as I'm aware).

The CA control of this scope is reputed to be in the same league as the chinese 150mm F/8's which is quite an acheivement for an F/5.9. Worth holding on for one of these I'd have thought.

Mines Tecnosky so that makes 3 available but all manufactured in the same factory, I did have a link to it that said if you ordered 200 you could have your own logo on them, didn't mention anything about quality selecting them, can't find the link now.

Regards the CA, mine gives excellent Lunar views with hardly and CA around the edge.

Dave

16 minutes ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

E mailed AA to see if they have a time scale for availability. Heard nothing yet so I will start the wait...................................

I've emailed AA a couple of times in the past, still waiting for a reply :grin:

Dave

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

The Lyra Optics ones were claimed to be hand finished I seem to recall.

Mind you, the original stuff for the Skywatcher ED scopes said something similar.

A tip: I had a similar problem last year and it was solved by contacting Lee at Green Witch (from whom I had bought the equipment) and he obtained a very fast response from Altair :wink:

On 18/04/2017 at 20:55, Sirius Starwatcher said:

E mailed AA to see if they have a time scale for availability. Heard nothing yet so I will start the wait...................................

Looks like it may be when they have 100 orders...

Archived