Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Helical Focuser mod for Heritage 130P?

I know the Heritage focuser weak spot has been much discussed before, and as an otherwise happy owner I am frequently trying to think of an easy fix apart from PTFE tape. Spending a lot of money on it at some point makes it non cost effective. Somewhere I've read that someone has attached one of these to a standard 1.25 R&P focuser. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-t-thread-to-125-helical-focuser.html

Could anyone who knows this bit of kit advise whether or how it could be attached (or substituted?)  to the heritage focuser? Thanks.

I've also looked at this after reading this post:

I can't see why it wouldn't work in your scope. You probably have the same R&P focuser. The downside of this is the eyepiece will turn as you focus with this so not suitable for imaging or if you have a variable polarising filter that you adjust by turning the eyepiece. I have seen a non rotating alternative but am not aware of anyone who's tried it:

http://www.365astronomy.com/1.25-Non-rotating-Helical-Micro-Focuser-with-T-thread-and-0.05mm-Scale.html

I have the baader and the heritage 130p. I have a t mount screwed into the baader so it just pops in a 1.25 focuser. However I think I'll be using it on my ST80 because the heritage focuser I think is as fine as the baader so I don't think there is any gain really. The trusses would need to be not fully extended if using the baader as well I think. Though the baader has no slop so ptfe tape isn't needed on it.

5 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I can't see why it wouldn't work in your scope. You probably have the same R&P focuser

Hi and thanks for that link. The Heritage doesn't have a R&P focuser but a helical, thats part of the issue, but it was useful to see someone using it as an auxhiliary focuser.

4 hours ago, happy-kat said:

I have the baader and the heritage 130p. I have a t mount screwed into the baader so it just pops in a 1.25 focuser. However I think I'll be using it on my ST80 because the heritage focuser I think is as fine as the baader so I don't think there is any gain really. The trusses would need to be not fully extended if using the baader as well I think. Though the baader has no slop so ptfe tape isn't needed on it.

Thanks for that info h-k. I take your point about the standard focuser working OK, it always surprises me that it does. I would just like something that has a better feel to it, for want of a better description, a more mechanically solid feel. The T mount sounds a simple solution too.

Yes, I saw that and quite a neat and ingenious job too. As much as I  really like the compact aspect of the  Heritage, I think if I was going to invest that much time and money, I would be tempted to  buy a 130p-DS.

Archived