Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Jupiter

Sup people!

So, I have a 90mm refractor (that's how I think we say it :happy8:) and I would like to observe Jupiter. I currently own a 9mm and 25mm eyepiece and a Barlow len and I would like to know: How do I observe Jupiter with my equipment and what will I see? I'm a newbie and I'm still leaning so that's why I'm asking you!

Thanks in advance!

-Loïc :happy8:

(I just found that meme online :P)

f9ae75c625799aad1f2889f2df2415f0_astronomy-meme-generator-astronomy-memes_700-516.jpeg.871f4aacc8d8a6bd7ed52e9684efe7a5.jpeg

Dank memes ?

Anyways the view you get with your 90mm varies a little depending on if you have a cheap or high end refractor. But in general you should be able to see Jupiters 4 biggest moons, (Io, Europa, Ganymeade, and Callisto) atleast 2 orangish bands if not more, and the Great Red Spot. If you have a more expensive refractor, than you could probobly see swirling detail in the cloud bands and some of the smaller storms. 

Im sure some of the more experience observers could tell you more!

Hope this helps :)

jupiter.png.023dbd9f2a0d576f417a64f02463fd21.png

I dont know your telescopes focal length (to know your magnification with a 9mm eyepiece), but you will probably see something like this image.

The image is taken from this excellent post (highly recommended read):

Just want to add that Jupiter probably will appear very bright to you (except on very high powers).

Rune

Good work, Rune - you grabbed an excellent thread to link!

I hope you'll have a good stroll through it, Loic.

How about a nice (BIG!) software-program to show you the night-sky from your location, at anytime or day you wish? It is called Stellarium, which is what is known as a 'Planetarium-Program' which give you view of your sky and all the wonders that it contains? Many similar programs sell for over $250CDN. Stellarium is FREE - and it totally free-of-charge to download and use until you quit using it! It is one of the best bargains going to us Astronomy-People. If it sounds good - here comes my 'Cut & Paste' to help you download and view such:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On this link is the main page for downloading Stellarium. Choose which version is correct for your computer. Here you go:

http://www.stellarium.org/

As for instructions, a full copy of them is bundled with the program that you download. But if you need another copy for some reason, these can be downloaded here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/stellarium/files/Stellarium-user-guide/0.15.0-1/stellarium_user_guide-0.15.0-1.pdf/download

This program is quite large, so download when you have a few minutes. I'll leave you with a screenshot of mine, and also one of the screen approximating - roughly - of how it looks when you begin. Please know that I am an experienced user. I do this to help you understand the immense range & versatility of this amazing software-program.

In the beginning:

58f42f5346d58_StellariumScreenshot-BeginningScreen.thumb.png.c1b750459980771c63ca9b08df724c59.png

And my own for my works:

stellarium-342.thumb.png.882a5b019f3598fafe1e6c2c48a1e89e.png

Enjoy!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you need help with this - just ask us. We're here to help you, and learn ourselves. And we are fortunate to have as a member one of the developers of this amazing program as a member.

See you around the forums,

Dave

Hi Logic. It is difficult to give an exact answer to your question without knowing the telescope you have and in particular it's focal length. Knowing this we could work out the magnifications your eyepieces will give you. The only thing I would add to the excellent advice given already is to view Jupiter when it is due South in the sky. It will then be at its highest altitude and you will minimise atmospheric distortions.

Whatever equipment you have a few other things will help with Jupiter:

1. Time and patience- don't expect to see everything at once like switching on the TV. Spend some time looking and teasing out the detail. If the seeing is poor the planet will look 'wobbly' but if you persevere there may be a better spell when details will 'click'

2. A chair. If you are to spend time with the planet you need to be comfortable . There are special observing chairs around but they can be expensive - try an ironing chair or a stool. Jupiter is low in the sky at the moment which doesn't help with seeing conditions but ironically it can make sitting down more feasible. 

3. An eyepatch. Keeping the non-observing eye screwed shut is uncomfortable- get a  cheap eyepatch from a pharmacy.

Have fun

Kerry 

Hi. I hope I'm not stating the obvious but find it first in  your 25mm and then switch to 9mm and/or 25mm and barlow. If you lose it just go back to 25mm. I made the mistake at first of looking for it with high magnification and losing it for 10 minutes at a time. You'll definitely see 4 moons. At first Jupiter looks white and round to me and eventually two stripes reveal themselves. The GRS is a real challenge (I saw it for the first time last night after a scope and then eyepiece upgrade) but the free gas giants app will at least tell you if it's facing the earth.

I didn't expect anything my first time so I was absolutely blown away even though my view wasn't as good as the one above but there's a massive difference between seeing a picture and seeing with your own eyes. Enjoy your first time.

Archived