Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How do you see screen in warm room??

tooth_dr

So I've a wee warm room off the main part where the scope is mounted. I set up my solar scope the other day and 'discovered' I can't see the pc screen to focus the camera.

I was going to attach a small second screen to the back of the wall of the warm room facing the scope for focusing purposes but has anyone any other suggestions? Maybe using teamviewer on my phone or something similar?  A series of mirrors? A window? A robotic focuser isn't an option. 

Thanks in advance

Adam. 

Good question. I have the same problem.  Though in my case the telescope is outside, 5m or so from my warm room (shed). So far I just put my laptop on a chair at the open door of the shed while I focus. But it's not ideal.

There are apps to see your PC screen in your tablet. These use the Internet but I don't think I've got good enough internet access in the garden. 

Interested to to read suggested solutions. 

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I guess the clever guys and gals are going to reply 'remote focusing!'

Hi Stu

I've mentioned at the end of my post that robotic/remote focusing is not an option.  This has to be suitable for solar and planetary imaging, using 2-3 different scopes. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/04/2017 at 22:15, Ouroboros said:

There are apps to see your PC screen in your tablet. These use the Internet but I don't think I've got good enough internet access in the garden. 

Interested to to read suggested solutions. 

If you have bad WiFi signal in your garden, get yourself a second router and 'daisy chain' them. A wired connection to your existing router would be worthwhile and  you may well find a spot in your house  where you can reach the second router by wire and have good coverage in the garden (cable out through one window frame and back in through another upstairs). The cost of a Cat 5 cable plus a router wouldn't be that high (not an 'astronomical' amount). It could also improve connections to some places in your house. Wireless routers are truly rubbish and barely do what they are supposed to do.

10 hours ago, sophiecentaur said:

If you have bad WiFi signal in your garden, get yourself a second router and 'daisy chain' them. A wired connection to your existing router would be worthwhile and  you may well find a spot in your house  where you can reach the second router by wire and have good coverage in the garden (cable out through one window frame and back in through another upstairs). The cost of a Cat 5 cable plus a router wouldn't be that high (not an 'astronomical' amount). It could also improve connections to some places in your house. Wireless routers are truly rubbish and barely do what they are supposed to do.

Interesting suggestion. I also run a mains cable out to the shed and I know there are ways to piggy back internet on mains. 

I may have found another way of showing my MacBook's screen on my iPad.  I've download a 10 quid App called Duet which does just this.  It's a wired rather than a wireless solution. But that improves speed of course. It requires connecting the iPad to the MacBook via the 30pin to USB cable. I've found Duet still works over a 10 metre USB extension cable. During dry run tests I've found I can focus the camera placed 10m from the MacBook by looking at the live view picture on BackYard EOS, relayed to my iPad via the MacBook. If that makes sense.  I have yet to test this in anger at the scope, but I can't see why it shouldn't work. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/05/2017 at 22:54, Ouroboros said:

I know there are ways to piggy back internet on mains. 

If you already have a mains route out there why not just run a Cat5 Ethernet cable out there alongside it? A cheaper solution and Ethernet travels quite well compared with USB (which was a 'Bus' system for connecting peripherals together locally and not really as long distance data link). USB can be a good solution in some cases, though - as is wireless.

20 hours ago, sophiecentaur said:

If you already have a mains route out there why not just run a Cat5 Ethernet cable out there alongside it? A cheaper solution and Ethernet travels quite well compared with USB (which was a 'Bus' system for connecting peripherals together locally and not really as long distance data link). USB can be a good solution in some cases, though - as is wireless.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think first I'll try the Duet app on my iPad and Mac. This certainly worked very well during a dry run in  the day. I'll report back on its effectiveness when I next get the chance to do some imaging.  One advantage is that the Mac doesn't have to be connected to the Internet. I normally  disconnect the Mac from the network during imaging so it doesn't go off to download updates or whatever. 

Archived