Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_satellites_v2.jpg

JOC

How much Dob does a Dob Mob bod have if a Dob bod could have Dob?

115 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, niallk said:

:grin:

Great to have experienced owning a real big one though I'd say!

For sure. I'll buy another very large scope in the future perhaps. I do still have a 16" but it's not classed as a big dob anymore. :)

1 person likes this

I'd be very pleased to have a 16", whatever people think of it size-wise. Being a member of the Dob-Mob is a state of mind, of course. I built a little Dob for the kids years back. Hasn't seen as much use as I had hoped, but maybe I can lure them back outside, away from temptations of computers, smartphones, tablets and the like.

post-18313-133877755248_thumb.jpgpost-18313-133877755256_thumb.jpgpost-18313-133877755262_thumb.jpg

Best views I have ever had (and greatest observing sessions) where at Olly's place, serving as Dob-pilot for him and his guests with his 20" Dob ("Sir Isaac" to friends). The views of M51 and M101 under magnificent dark skies were just breathtaking, but I also found loads of smaller goodies, like many planetaries and galaxies well beyond my C8's capabilities. The vivid blue-green colour of the Saturn Nebula was particularly stunning.

3 people like this

The thing i found when looking with the 22", a smaller scope pales into insignificance, my 120 is a super scope but just cant begin to show any detail like a big dob

2 people like this

The view of the Veil through Sir Isaac will stay with me forever 😃

My blue scope is indeed lovely 😁, but that has proved as much a curse as a blessing!  I bought it for the mirror, intending to put it into a sumerian set up. Concerns from dob mob about stability of sumerian scopes means it would need an alternative approach. But it seems sacrilege to chop up/dismantle such a well set up scope 😏

As is, the solid tube has proved challenging to store and for two star parties I haven't had room in the car for it - if it doesn't get to star parties then it is not really worth keeping 😞

The two portable dobs on ABS aren't helping at the moment!!  (If they were cheaper I may have already given myself a last throw of the big dob dice!)

Also musing about assisted viewing with a smaller scope - but I couldn't mention that here 😱

Decisions, decisions.....

Helen

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Where do you even get a 36"?

Webster claim to be able to make up to 60"!

I think the question might be: where do you get the funding for a 36+", and how long would it take to delivery! :D I've read about long waits for 'moderate' sizes...

Just now, niallk said:

Webster claim to be able to make up to 60"!

I think the question might be: where do you get the funding for a 36+", and how long would it take to delivery! :D I've read about long waits for 'moderate' sizes...

And a pair of very large ladders ;)

1 person likes this

My old 12" dob was a great scope. I still have a 16", had an 18" and 22", but the 12" was manageable and used the most.

23 minutes ago, Helen said:

The view of the Veil through Sir Isaac will stay with me forever 😃

My blue scope is indeed lovely 😁, but that has proved as much a curse as a blessing!  I bought it for the mirror, intending to put it into a sumerian set up. Concerns from dob mob about stability of sumerian scopes means it would need an alternative approach. But it seems sacrilege to chop up/dismantle such a well set up scope 😏

As is, the solid tube has proved challenging to store and for two star parties I haven't had room in the car for it - if it doesn't get to star parties then it is not really worth keeping 😞

The two portable dobs on ABS aren't helping at the moment!!  (If they were cheaper I may have already given myself a last throw of the big dob dice!)

Also musing about assisted viewing with a smaller scope - but I couldn't mention that here 😱

Decisions, decisions.....

Helen

Don't always listen to those dob boys Helen, they like their dobs big and heavy. My Sumerian was nice and stable, gave fabulous views and was very easy to handle. Drop me a  pm if you want to chat about it.

1 person likes this

That's it.  I won't bother with this thread anymore!

All the best pictures were on the first pages..Wink, wink- Nudge, nudge!

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Don't always listen to those dob boys Helen, they like their dobs big and heavy. My Sumerian was nice and stable, gave fabulous views and was very easy to handle. Drop me a  pm if you want to chat about it.

I'm not sure if Micheal is still making larger sized dobs, but there are other builders out there making light weight large aperture scopes. 

2 people like this

20 minutes ago, mapstar said:

I'm not sure if Micheal is still making larger sized dobs, but there are other builders out there making light weight large aperture scopes. 

I think you are right Damian. I just find it a little frustrating that Sumerians are written off as not stable when actually the one I had was great. Everything is a compromise obviously, but it held collimation well, the movement was generally smooth and it stayed where you put it.

I had four cracking nights at SGl10 with it, saw more galaxies in four nights than the previous 17 years put together!

2 people like this

Sumerian seem to be going the Alkaid travel scopes in 8-12 range, but also the Canopus 16 which is not quite so compact but designed to be more stable. http://www.sumerianoptics.com/products-price/  I think this may be the classic case of the best scope is the one you can use!  Off to ask questions about those scopes on ABS :rolleyes:

Helen

PS anyone fancy that gorgeous Blue scope??? :wink2:

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think you are right Damian. I just find it a little frustrating that Sumerians are written off as not stable when actually the one I had was great. Everything is a compromise obviously, but it held collimation well, the movement was generally smooth and it stayed where you put it.

I had four cracking nights at SGl10 with it, saw more galaxies in four nights than the previous 17 years put together!

I never wrote them off Stu as they are a lovely scope and more than an inspiration for my own creation.

Mine seems to work well and is light enough in its component parts for me to use a normal estate to transport it.

I'm sure the next one will be even better designed and executed in the lighter weight ethos. Obviously whilst maintaining rigidity as it will probably be a 24" :happy7:

Edited by mapstar
2 people like this

The 16" Canopus is a lovely stable scope.

And, as Helen said, solid tubes are a complete pain in the neck.

I did like Moonshane's magnificently simple "chopping it in half" solution.

Didn't Orion (US) have a 50" Dob in their range a while back?

Paul