Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_widefield_winners.thumb.jpg.89a389e06ea148084fc6cb2e2cf32749.jpg

JOC

How much Dob does a Dob Mob bod have if a Dob bod could have Dob?

mert    173
7 minutes ago, niallk said:

:grin:

Great to have experienced owning a real big one though I'd say!

For sure. I'll buy another very large scope in the future perhaps. I do still have a 16" but it's not classed as a big dob anymore. :)

• Like 1

I'd be very pleased to have a 16", whatever people think of it size-wise. Being a member of the Dob-Mob is a state of mind, of course. I built a little Dob for the kids years back. Hasn't seen as much use as I had hoped, but maybe I can lure them back outside, away from temptations of computers, smartphones, tablets and the like.

post-18313-133877755248_thumb.jpgpost-18313-133877755256_thumb.jpgpost-18313-133877755262_thumb.jpg

Best views I have ever had (and greatest observing sessions) where at Olly's place, serving as Dob-pilot for him and his guests with his 20" Dob ("Sir Isaac" to friends). The views of M51 and M101 under magnificent dark skies were just breathtaking, but I also found loads of smaller goodies, like many planetaries and galaxies well beyond my C8's capabilities. The vivid blue-green colour of the Saturn Nebula was particularly stunning.

• Like 3

nightfisher    6,784

The thing i found when looking with the 22", a smaller scope pales into insignificance, my 120 is a super scope but just cant begin to show any detail like a big dob

• Like 2

Helen    2,393

The view of the Veil through Sir Isaac will stay with me forever 😃

My blue scope is indeed lovely 😁, but that has proved as much a curse as a blessing!  I bought it for the mirror, intending to put it into a sumerian set up. Concerns from dob mob about stability of sumerian scopes means it would need an alternative approach. But it seems sacrilege to chop up/dismantle such a well set up scope 😏

As is, the solid tube has proved challenging to store and for two star parties I haven't had room in the car for it - if it doesn't get to star parties then it is not really worth keeping 😞

The two portable dobs on ABS aren't helping at the moment!!  (If they were cheaper I may have already given myself a last throw of the big dob dice!)

Also musing about assisted viewing with a smaller scope - but I couldn't mention that here 😱

Decisions, decisions.....

Helen

• Like 1

niallk    1,668
12 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Where do you even get a 36"?

Webster claim to be able to make up to 60"!

I think the question might be: where do you get the funding for a 36+", and how long would it take to delivery! :D I've read about long waits for 'moderate' sizes...

mert    173
Just now, niallk said:

Webster claim to be able to make up to 60"!

I think the question might be: where do you get the funding for a 36+", and how long would it take to delivery! :D I've read about long waits for 'moderate' sizes...

And a pair of very large ladders ;)

• Like 1

mert    173

My old 12" dob was a great scope. I still have a 16", had an 18" and 22", but the 12" was manageable and used the most.

Stu    16,666
23 minutes ago, Helen said:

The view of the Veil through Sir Isaac will stay with me forever 😃

My blue scope is indeed lovely 😁, but that has proved as much a curse as a blessing!  I bought it for the mirror, intending to put it into a sumerian set up. Concerns from dob mob about stability of sumerian scopes means it would need an alternative approach. But it seems sacrilege to chop up/dismantle such a well set up scope 😏

As is, the solid tube has proved challenging to store and for two star parties I haven't had room in the car for it - if it doesn't get to star parties then it is not really worth keeping 😞

The two portable dobs on ABS aren't helping at the moment!!  (If they were cheaper I may have already given myself a last throw of the big dob dice!)

Also musing about assisted viewing with a smaller scope - but I couldn't mention that here 😱

Decisions, decisions.....

Helen

Don't always listen to those dob boys Helen, they like their dobs big and heavy. My Sumerian was nice and stable, gave fabulous views and was very easy to handle. Drop me a  pm if you want to chat about it.

• Like 1

oobydooby    164

That's it.  I won't bother with this thread anymore!

All the best pictures were on the first pages..Wink, wink- Nudge, nudge!

• Like 2

mapstar    5,732
19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Don't always listen to those dob boys Helen, they like their dobs big and heavy. My Sumerian was nice and stable, gave fabulous views and was very easy to handle. Drop me a  pm if you want to chat about it.

I'm not sure if Micheal is still making larger sized dobs, but there are other builders out there making light weight large aperture scopes. 

• Like 2

Stu    16,666
20 minutes ago, mapstar said:

I'm not sure if Micheal is still making larger sized dobs, but there are other builders out there making light weight large aperture scopes. 

I think you are right Damian. I just find it a little frustrating that Sumerians are written off as not stable when actually the one I had was great. Everything is a compromise obviously, but it held collimation well, the movement was generally smooth and it stayed where you put it.

I had four cracking nights at SGl10 with it, saw more galaxies in four nights than the previous 17 years put together!

• Like 2

Helen    2,393

Sumerian seem to be going the Alkaid travel scopes in 8-12 range, but also the Canopus 16 which is not quite so compact but designed to be more stable. http://www.sumerianoptics.com/products-price/  I think this may be the classic case of the best scope is the one you can use!  Off to ask questions about those scopes on ABS :rolleyes:

Helen

PS anyone fancy that gorgeous Blue scope??? :wink2:

mapstar    5,732
43 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think you are right Damian. I just find it a little frustrating that Sumerians are written off as not stable when actually the one I had was great. Everything is a compromise obviously, but it held collimation well, the movement was generally smooth and it stayed where you put it.

I had four cracking nights at SGl10 with it, saw more galaxies in four nights than the previous 17 years put together!

I never wrote them off Stu as they are a lovely scope and more than an inspiration for my own creation.

Mine seems to work well and is light enough in its component parts for me to use a normal estate to transport it.

I'm sure the next one will be even better designed and executed in the lighter weight ethos. Obviously whilst maintaining rigidity as it will probably be a 24" :happy7:

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 3

Paul73    2,793

The 16" Canopus is a lovely stable scope.

And, as Helen said, solid tubes are a complete pain in the neck.

I did like Moonshane's magnificently simple "chopping it in half" solution.

Didn't Orion (US) have a 50" Dob in their range a while back?

Paul

estwing    4,706
On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:26, Stu said:

but they flex when bigger ep's are in the focuser. They're a travel scope that work well with light eyepieces, any big Nag or ethos will shown a slight flex.

• Like 1

Helen    2,393
3 minutes ago, estwing said:

but they flex when bigger ep's are in the focuser. They're a travel scope that work well with light eyepieces, any big Nag or ethos will shown a slight flex.

Going to road test an Obsession 15UC and a 14inch Sumerian side-by-side on Saturday :biggrin:  Will take my WO UWAN 28mm handgrenade with me!

Helen

• Like 3

swamp thing    5,197
On 4/21/2017 at 11:26, Stu said:

The truss poles flexed in the mirror box every time you moved the UTA. 
It was not rigid Stu. I used it, as did Cal, Dan and Mike. We all felt (and saw)  the flex in it. That flex gives a sponginess to the movement. If you are happy with that then that is fine. No one is writing off Sumerian. We are simply reporting what we experienced. 
It did give fabulous views, no one is saying it didn't. It was easy to handle, but it was not rigid and the movement was spongy because of it. 

estwing    4,706
5 minutes ago, Helen said:

Going to road test an Obsession 15UC and a 14inch Sumerian side-by-side on Saturday :biggrin:  Will take my WO UWAN 28mm handgrenade with me!

Helen

good idea, I really like those WO UWAN's the get a great review and TBH my money would be on the Obsession. I'm not bashing Sumerian but don't expect it to handle heavy E.P's.

Helen    2,393
20 minutes ago, estwing said:

good idea, I really like those WO UWAN's the get a great review and TBH my money would be on the Obsession. I'm not bashing Sumerian but don't expect it to handle heavy E.P's.

Yes, the Obsession will undoubtedly be the more stable (the seller has confirmed this).  The main question will be whether I can handle it.  The Sumerian is lighter and more compact.  So the testing is probably as much testing me as the scopes :biggrin:  Am also taking a lazer collimator though to see how things change when the scopes are moved (great idea Stu :wink2:).  

Debrief to follow next weekend....

Helen

• Like 2

Stu    16,666
26 minutes ago, swamp thing said:

The truss poles flexed in the mirror box every time you moved the UTA. 
It was not rigid Stu. I used it, as did Cal, Dan and Mike. We all felt (and saw)  the flex in it. That flex gives a sponginess to the movement. If you are happy with that then that is fine. No one is writing off Sumerian. We are simply reporting what we experienced. 
It did give fabulous views, no one is saying it didn't. It was easy to handle, but it was not rigid and the movement was spongy because of it. 

Interesting no one commented on it at the time Steve?

I get that it did not feel as solid as the heavier scopes you guys use, and having used Damian's scope I could feel the difference, but honestly, did it affect the view? No. Properly assembled it will cope with heavier eyepieces (I was using 21 & 13mm Ethos at SGL). The collimation held very well and the performance vs Mike's 14" solid tube was what you would expect.

The major point for me is that I would not use a scope as big as the ones you guys use for a variety of reasons, storage, transport, sheer weight (dodgy back) etc. we have different requirements, and that is all good, but don't assume that everyone needs to use  the same scopes as you.

The Sumerian fitted nicely into the boot of a BMW 3 series coupe and was very manageable. I would have another.

I feel there is a lot of negativity towards Sumerian, probably because of Dan's experience but there are plenty of happy customers out there I'm sure. A scope is only any use if you use it after all.

• Like 2

YKSE    2,132
1 hour ago, Stu said:

Interesting no one commented on it at the time Steve?

Maybe that's like in most cases, when someone has bought something with great excitement, not many want to be like the innocent boy?

This is my general impression/requirement about truss dobs, for someone hasn't bought anything yet:smiley:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/560243-seeking-a-12-to-14-dob/?p=7599728

swamp thing    5,197

Do you honestly think we would be so tactless as to stand around your new scope (at the time) and run it down? You no longer own it so I figured you would be unbiased now..........

I do not assume that everyone wants the same scope as me. I am happy to recommend any UC design that works. Damo's is nothing short of excellent and I would be the first to recommend a similar scope to anyone looking at the UC design. There is zero flex in Damo's scope and it moves beautifully. It is about as good as a large aperture scope can be. It is very compact and yet moves as smoothly as any classic Dob i've tried. I am a massive fan of it. I should add it looks stunning and the craftwork is staggering. Watch his head swell up now :D  
As for does flex effect the views. Try tracking at high power with a scope that flexes. You will soon find the experience frustrating. So yes it does. Put it this way. would you be happy with your Tak if it flexed as you tried to track planets??? 

• Like 2

Stu    16,666
1 hour ago, swamp thing said:

Do you honestly think we would be so tactless as to stand around your new scope (at the time) and run it down? You no longer own it so I figured you would be unbiased now..........

I do not assume that everyone wants the same scope as me. I am happy to recommend any UC design that works. Damo's is nothing short of excellent and I would be the first to recommend a similar scope to anyone looking at the UC design. There is zero flex in Damo's scope and it moves beautifully. It is about as good as a large aperture scope can be. It is very compact and yet moves as smoothly as any classic Dob i've tried. I am a massive fan of it. I should add it looks stunning and the craftwork is staggering. Watch his head swell up now :D  
As for does flex effect the views. Try tracking at high power with a scope that flexes. You will soon find the experience frustrating. So yes it does. Put it this way. would you be happy with your Tak if it flexed as you tried to track planets??? 

Well, I hoped by saying that I recognize that it is not as solid as Damian's scope I was showing that I am not biased? I actually value honesty and have no problem with someone pointing out issues, in fact I do remember discussing the fact that it was a little sticky in its movement and how to remedy that.

Damian's scope is wonderful, but it is also significantly bigger and heavier than the Sumerian so is a different proposition I think.

You are right re the Tak, I do change stuff like the focuser to eliminate any image shift, but to be honest I found it quite easy to find and track small 'faint' galaxies with the Sumerian so did not have a problem with it.

I put faint in quotes to acknowledge that I was only down to mag 14.2 whereas I know you guys go a lot deeper.

• Like 3