SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How much Dob does a Dob Mob bod have if a Dob bod could have Dob?

JOC

6 hours ago, swamp thing said:

Cal has aperture fever :D:D 

That can't be true... His 18"er is his "Forever Scope" I'm sure I remember reading a thread once where he was going to be buried in it :D

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Piero said:

The Dob Mob flag is super cool! :) 

I wonder what happens if you meet a guy like this on your way though.. :evil: He might say "Fellas.. no small finders here!" :boxing:   :happy1:

p.s. just kidding, I am sure you would have an awesome party under the stars! :smile:

1070_Movingaround_full.jpg

Source with other photos: http://www.cruxis.com/scope/scope1070.htm

Did you see his full 42" aperture solar film filter!! :eek:

4 minutes ago, niallk said:

Did you see his full 42" aperture solar film filter!! :eek:

Yip - awesome! 

The largest aperture I have looked through in white light was an 11" SCT and the detail in the sunspots was incredible. Looking at our closest star through that thing must be stunning.

24 minutes ago, Scott said:

That can't be true... His 18"er is his "Forever Scope" I'm sure I remember reading a thread once where he was going to be buried in it :D

nope that was the telementor......i think!

2 hours ago, barkis said:

You clearly underestimate us Derek, and If that lady ever falls off that step ladder,
I hope I'm at the   bottom,  underneath to catch her.
She is clearly dressed for the role, whatever that may be.:icon_mrgreen:

Dressed for a roll I think Ron

ooh-matron-kenneth-williams-carry-on-bouvier-des-flandres-puppies-for-sale-uk.jpg

Interesting thread this :icon_biggrin:

I could easily get hooked on big aperture having enjoyed many sessions with my 12" dob picking my way through faint galaxy fields and having a peek through some of these larger instruments at SGL star parties I can appreciate the thrill of going as "deep" as possible under the darkest skies that can be found. I've got the eyepieces to do a really monster scope justice too :icon_biggrin:

What has stopped me from going larger than 12" is the rather boring reality that I would not be able to get a larger scope under the skies that it deserves more than a few times a year.

I'm fortunate that my 12" dob is relatively light and portable (about as good as a 12" scope gets on those points) and is of good optical quality. It's a practical proposition, living in a corner of the dining room, and being quick and easy to lift out of the french windows onto the patio for an observing session.  My other half has no problems with that but I suspect that me clearing off for a couple of nights frequently would provoke more than raised eyebrows. Divorce is even more costly than a huge dob :undecided:

So I can pretend to be part of the dob mob from time to time but practicality is going to keep me from fully joining I suspect :rolleyes2:

On 17/04/2017 at 17:52, SilverAstro said:

Mine has stalled, needing another £100-200 to restart. :(

There's another one on the go on CN - https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/560250-purpose-built-eaa-telescope/page-3#entry7832314

Neither qualify for dob mob status, I assume most of the appeal of a massive dob is purely visual anyway.

9 hours ago, furrysocks2 said:

Neither qualify for dob mob status, I assume most of the appeal of a massive dob is purely visual anyway.

It's all relative :)

Thanks for the link, interesting.

with visual the size of the secondary obstruction increases with the size of the primary, but with a camera at prime focus the % obstruction decreases ! and the spider supporting it does not have to be so substantial either ? !!

I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion I'm not big enough to be part of the Dob Mob :dontknow: I just can't handle the size/weight needed....  Wondering about options.... (but that's for a seperate thread I think)

Helen

1 hour ago, Helen said:

I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion I'm not big enough to be part of the Dob Mob :dontknow: I just can't handle the size/weight needed....  Wondering about options.... (but that's for a seperate thread I think)

Helen

Surely in this day and age the Dob Mob's Diversity and Gender Equality Policy makes provision for suitable adjustments to be made to allow you to participate on an equal basis?

I'd be very disappointed if this was not the case :rolleyes2:

I had the pleasure of viewing through Mapsters 22" dob at the usha gap camp and..............WOW and double WOW but i have to remain outside this group, as i dont have the funds bearing in mind these large dobs have a diet of pricey ep`s, you dont build a huge dob then bung a £20 plossl in the holder, i dont have the room to store or the dark skies to enjoy, it also brought home the point that if you want to enjoy faint fuzzies you do need a generous helping of aperture

8 hours ago, Helen said:

Helen

I'm sure that the gentlemen of the Dob Mob would be more than happy to help with any heavy lifting. You would have to stear clear of any conversation re Refractors, or "Finder Scopes" as they call them.

They have been gently tolerant about my little 16" scope, but drew the line at the flowery tent....

Paul

8 hours ago, Helen said:

Helen

A most welcome addition I think and such a thing of beauty......and the scope is nice too..

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, estwing said:

A most welcome addition I think and such a thing of beauty......and the scope is nice too..

image.jpeg

Steve does indeed look particularly beautiful in that one ;)

I do like Helen's blue scope :) 

On 17/04/2017 at 17:43, Peter Drew said:

I came dangerously close to suggesting a camera mounted in the spider but just in time remembered the origin of this thread.   :eek:

Ha! but the  but highly sensitive camera, with a footprint no larger
than the original secondary, is designated to passing the photons on to a 
Computer screen, thereby   still maintaining the Dob. as a visual Instrument only.

The Cardinal rule has been Observed. If you'll  all pardon the unintended Pun. :tongue2::icon_biggrin:.
The tube length will necessarily have to be be increased though,  a negative I guess.
Getting into the realm of silly perhaps ?

I have the hardware to qualify as a "Mobster" but unfortunately although both Dobs are very manageable neither is transportable, the next one even less so!

Without wishing to add much to "thread creep", I was building a 18" F3.5 with a Watec 120n at the prime focus for EAA mounted on a stretched SCT fork mount but the enthusiasm has waned and it's currently way down on the projects list.   :icon_biggrin:

Archived