Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_galaxies_winners.thumb.jpg.92ab73c3699031e815897184054b8f7c.jpg

JOC

How much Dob does a Dob Mob bod have if a Dob bod could have Dob?

1 minute ago, Phil Fargaze said:

We must consider health and safety here. Being half way up a step ladder in those heels is just too dangerous. Plus that's no way to be dressed in the middle of the night, that lady could catch a nasty chill, especially in our typical English climate.

I think you have nicely captured what all of us were thinking, Phil :wink:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil Fargaze said:

that's no way to be dressed in the middle of the night

Yes - I agree, a rookie mistake.  Increased risk of body heat disrupting the light path.  I mean c'mon: fit the shroud on the scope...

• Like 2

I expect Webster Telescopes' website has seen a spike in its hits today! Interesting marketing technique!

• Like 4

I did say don't look...this thread is what it's all about with us letting your hair down, enjoying each other's company and putting a smile on everyone's face. Like a lot of things in life what started off fun soon becomes a chore,we aren't out every night stargazing, but when we are ....we make sure it's done with a smile 

• Like 5

Good morning all. I'm carefully considering each image before making a decision ;) 

• Like 7

This should balance it back out Stu

image.jpeg

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, estwing said:

image.jpeg

Thinking of marking this thread as at risk of closure now....

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, estwing said:

image.jpeg

Drool...

(Over the scopes ;) )

Anything less than 24" is a toy.

Size matters :wink2:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, faulksy said:

when we formed the dobmob, i had a little 14" we have all grown up now, mapster has the biggest but soon to be over powered by a 24" :headbang:

Just curious about the 24" Mike, is this to be a collective dob mob project or instigated by a dob mob member, expect that we will all get to learn in due course :smiley:?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scarp15 said:

Just curious about the 24" Mike, is this to be a collective dob mob project or instigated by a dob mob member, expect that we will all get to learn in due course :smiley:?

Cal has aperture fever :D:D 

• Like 4

Yep I reckoned, good luck for the weekend.

I had a 150, then a 250 ... Then realised i needed some therapy ... Ended up admitting defeat and bought a cat .

54 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

what steve said

51 minutes ago, swamp thing said:

Cal has aperture fever :D:D 

looks like the cat is out of the bag :headbang:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Yep I reckoned, good luck for the weekend.

Cheers matey :) 

It will be a laugh regardless of the conditions :D. As we say; "If you don't go, you'll never know" 

• Like 2

Don't forget the most excellent banner ! Nick.IMG_6827.thumb.JPG.20ff63fe939829af2da1777b5aad2c1e.JPG

• Like 10

The Dob Mob flag is super cool! :) 

I wonder what happens if you meet a guy like this on your way though.. :evil: He might say "Fellas.. no small finders here!" :boxing:   :happy1:

p.s. just kidding, I am sure you would have an awesome party under the stars! :smile:

1070_Movingaround_full.jpg

Source with other photos: http://www.cruxis.com/scope/scope1070.htm

• Like 6

Isn't that ^^^ just awesome!  It's just dawning on me that the length to the secondary mirror (and therefore the length of the Dobs) must be governed by the curvature of the mirror and therefore its point of focus - is there then an optimal curvature for the huge mirrors that are used?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cotterless45 said:

Don't forget the most excellent banner ! Nick.IMG_6827.thumb.JPG.20ff63fe939829af2da1777b5aad2c1e.JPG

remember nick, cal said they do a frac one but you can hardly see it

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JOC said:

Isn't that ^^^ just awesome!  It's just dawning on me that the length to the secondary mirror (and therefore the length of the Dobs) must be governed by the curvature of the mirror and therefore its point of focus - is there then an optimal curvature for the huge mirrors that are used?

what ever you fancy, the bigger the faster so you need less steps simple as that

• Like 1