Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Stargazer33

Trouble with Firecapture & QHY5LIIc

Hi,

After returning to imaging after a long break I have been having a problem using Firecapture with my QHY5LIIc camera. The captures keep coming out with a 'hatch' pattern over them like you are looking through a cloth.

The below image is a crop of a Luna image which has been enlarged 400x to clearly show the pattern although it is clear enough on the original image I wasn't sure how it would appear after uploading.

58f36488df81e_Firecapturecapturepattern.png.736b464ad3cd1dad95e5413c036682c5.png

Does anyone know what causes this artefact and how I can stop it from happening in the future?

What you are seeing is the camera's bayer matrix. Process the capture file through PIPP to de-bayer the file before stacking should solve the problem.

PeterCPC: I used EZPlanetary too and there wasn't the problem with that. I just thought that Firecapture looked like it had more to offer.

Peter: I thought it might be the Bayer matrix but it doesn't happen all the time. I change one of the settings (can't remember which one off hand) and the matrix appears. That doesn't seem right!

I've also been trying to use Astrophotography Tool but I can't get the image dark enough. I have set the exposure to 'bulb' and the length to 0.00001 of a second but objects like Jupiter are still burnt out.

You should be able to get good results with EZ Planetary but I would give Sharpcap a go as well.

Peter

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By gutaker
      Hi guys, it's my first post here, so Hello!
      My synscan goto upgrade started to act like in this video of mine SynScan GOTO Skipping after being disassembled for few weeks in the closet. There were no such problems before.
      When it slews at rates above x3 everything is fine and smooth but as soon as it starts tracking at x3, it skips steps or something like that.
      My setup is eq3-2 on alu and SW 150/750 with Canon 700D attached.
      Thanks in advance for any clues or ideas!

• By Forunke
      Ok, so this is a really annoying bug / problem that I have with my setup:
      From time to time, in non regular intervals the image my guiding cam (ZWO ASI120) send seems to get flipped / mirrored or looks like it's from a completely different patch of sky.
      When I'm paying attention to the guide images I can clearly see that the image seems to be flipped in some way.
      It only happens for 1 frame PHD send a warning ( No star found / Star lost Mass changed) and after that everything is fine again. My gear is all connected to a single USB3 Hub which then runs via powered USB3 cable to my Pc.
      I'm not binning and have the noise reduction off (though PHD might got hickups while processing) but it still happens. Sometimes there are minutes between two events sometimes it happens 5 times in a row.
      It also seems like it's only happening during guiding, I haven't seen it happen during calibration yet...

I'm completely clueless what's happening or how to get rid of it, any help / idea is greatly appreciated.
    • By Demonperformer
      Setting up all the software on my win10 laptop and getting things to talk to one another is a nightmare.
      I'm starting a new thread, so I can post all the problems I am having, one at a time, so issues don't get confused. This will also hopefully help anyone coming to similar situations later, as the problems and answers will not be interlaced.
      First issue: APT does not detect ZWO camera.
      I have got the camera (ZWO) drivers installed and sharpcap can see it and will connect to it properly. However, when I try to connect the camera in APT, the only CCD options it gives me are SBIG (which it isn't), QSI (which it isn't) and ASCOM. Now it shouldn't need to use an ascom driver, because the proper driver is installed, but I give it a go anyway, and this just offers me 2 simulators and 3 QHY cameras (I have one qhy driver installed for the guidecam .... I'll get to that later!). I have disconnected both the filterwheel and guide camera from the camera hub, so they cannot be interefering with the process.
      I am at a total loss ... any suggestions?
      Thanks.
    • By Demonperformer
      I originally put this query on a different board (with hindsight, I think the wrong one), but got no response, so am trying again here.
      My aim is to attach my qhy5lii camera to my oag as a guide camera. Before trying it at night under the stars, I set it up during the day (to make sure phd2 would talk and it would get along) and it produced the attached screenshot (overexposed view of one of the local trees).
      The pattern of light and dark lines across the image is surely not normal? My guess (and that is all it is) is that is might be something to do with the pattern of pixels on the camera.
      This camera has been touted as a suitable guidecam and I'm sure I have read posts of people who actually do use it as such.
      What can I do to get rid of this pattern, which will surely be a distraction for guiding?
      Thanks.

• By Mexican Bob
      Hi. I’m quite new to astronomy and a GEM . Bought a second hand CG5 without proper knowledge of what I should have been looking for. I think that I have a problem with Dec axis travel. I’ll try to explain but please bare with me if I’m not making total sense. RA axis travel in both directions is good ( in smoothness and speed ).So is the Dec axis travel going clockwise, but anti-clockwise, the motor is slow and sounds laboured. I’ve replaced the motor in case it was that ,but the problem persists. Also when I release the direction button, the motor continues to slew for 2 or 3 seconds. Has anyone had a similar problem or has anyone any ideas how I can fix this? 
      Thanks in advance 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.