Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Colour vs Mono flats - same process?

Hi All,

I have good experience with monochrome imaging and processing. I just got a colour ccd camera and I'm having a hell of a time taking good flats and then applying them.  Is the procedure for taking flats and applying them the same with a colour ccd vs a mono ccd?

Thanks,
Paul.

Hi Paul

May I ask what you use for calibration/stacking? OSC flats and bias need to be applied before debayering but the flats need to have the Bayer matrix boxcar filtered out. Also, which OSC camera are you using? I use a QHY8L which has a two frame readout sensor (Sony ICX413AQ) so I have to ensure my flats are > 4secs.

Hope that makes sense?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thank you for confirming that the Bayer matrix plays a role with flats!  I use a Celestron Nightscape 10100 (KAI 10100 ccd).  I typically use AIP4WIN, but I suppose I should try the camera's software which is AstroFX.  I did notice that shorter flats (1 sec or less) yield strange results, while longer flats (ie a few seconds) work better, as with your camera.

Cheers,
Paul.

10 minutes ago, brrttpaul said:

i use a osc (hate it) and im using maxim, you have to have the apply boxcar filter ticked in that, I would imagine its something similar in whatever programme you using

+1 for ease of use with Maxim when calibrating OSC subs.

Celestron's AstroFX is actually made by Diffraction Ltd and is a subset of MaxIM DL.  I just used AstroFX (the software that comes with the camera) and things worked out much better.  Now the trick is to obtain good flats with the OSC camera... I am finding it much more challenging than with a mono camera!   I assume AIP4WIN could also be used for OSC processing, but I'll leave that for another day.

Thank you,
Paul.

Archived