Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Small refractor for imaging

I'm looking to begin imaging, but want to learn on something small for nebulae and globs. I was looking at an ES 80mm triplet but for some reason they seem hard to get hold of in the UK. I'm also looking at an Esprit 80 and just wondered what they are like without having a flattener attached. I've heard good things about the ES being round pinpoints edge to edge without a flattener fitted.  The focuser may also be a concern as I want to put a DSLR on the end.  Anyone have experiences of both of these ota's?

I wouldn't use any 'frac for imaging without a flattener unless it was a specific flat-field design. FLO have the Esprit 80 in stock but the ES say "contact us"

@Gina has used the Esprt 80, as have several others on this forum.

Thinks....for the cost of an Esprit 80 and flattener you would be close to a WO Star 71 flat-field scope.

I had this decision a few months ago, between an esprit 80 and WO star71 II. I went with the star71 because the esprit 80 needed a flattener (spacing hassle) it doesn't have tube rings which means a guide scope would need to be side by side mounted. The star 71 doesn't have those problems and I personally think the focuser is better. 

1 hour ago, dtastro said:

I'm looking to begin imaging, but want to learn on something small for nebulae and globs. I was looking at an ES 80mm triplet but for some reason they seem hard to get hold of in the UK. I'm also looking at an Esprit 80 and just wondered what they are like without having a flattener attached. I've heard good things about the ES being round pinpoints edge to edge without a flattener fitted.  The focuser may also be a concern as I want to put a DSLR on the end.  Anyone have experiences of both of these ota's?

Hi

You might consider just a 200mm or 300mm camera lens rather than going for a relatively expensive frac. Of course, the mount is the most important part of an imaging setup - you don't mention what you have (or plan to get). You don't mention which camera you intend to use either?

Louise

34 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

You might consider just a 200mm or 300mm camera lens rather than going for a relatively expensive frac. Of course, the mount is the most important part of an imaging setup - you don't mention what you have (or plan to get). You don't mention which camera you intend to use either?

Louise

I'm looking at the Skywatcher EQ6-R and Canon 7D MK2 at the moment...still not decided 100%

29 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

Louise

+1. I use 2 Nikkor ED180 f2.8 lenses in my dual rig - 1 captures HA and the other RGB using a OSC camera. The ED elements keep the CA very low and they are designed to give a flat field on a full frame sensor. I use mine with a KAF 8300 so get no problems with astigmatism or coma.

Apologies if I'm way off and you definitely want a 80mm or similar frac - I do love my very widefield views! :icon_biggrin:

Just now, alacant said:

I'm certain you're right. I was wondering more whether it had become one of those unwritten (Brexit perhaps?) rules that uk sales must proceed only via a middle man/dealer... Dunno...

Well it's their own brand (TS) :) Dunno who actually makes them though...

Point of legal fact (Not politics). We're still in the EU and will be until the Article 50 process takes its course.

Therefore you can still buy from suppliers in other EU counties as easily as you can from ones located here.

HTH

Edit: buying from local suppliers will have advantages if anything needs repairing, as I found out with my 80mm f/4.4.

Archived