Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter

N3ptune

Yet again, another sketch of Jupiter, the position of this planet is not bad these days, in maybe 4 observation in a row, a clean resolution was possible using my new OR-HD 7mm. (I am so happy with it :hello2:)

This sketch was done using the 200mm reflector, 7mm HD-OR 143x and neodymium filter. The atmospheric condition were bad for the stars, a lot of scintillation but Jupiter seems to be unaffected. I would evaluate that on 60 seconds, I had around 10 seconds of crystal clear resolution, maybe more. The visual quality of Jupiter at 143x is unbeatable with anything else I’ve got in my case.

And..

2miV02W.jpg?2

:smiley:The GRS was visible with a striking definition and it's awesome red color. ( "roux" in french to be more precise) beautiful caramel color. :smiley: The planet also looked really great at low power using my 2" providing 31x, the whole picture with the stars and the moons was beautiful and of course with razor sharp resolution.

A: The GRS, B: Calisto, C: Europa, D: Ganymede, E: Io

0c1A4fU.jpg

1 hour ago, N3ptune said:

The planet also looked really great at low power using my 2" providing 31x

The reason some folk upgrade to a larger apertured telescope  is to  gain more  photons of light which in turn will provide you more light, better detail ect.
This upgrade alone increases the potential of what the previous telescope was capable of, but by going with a longer focal length eyepiece on your existing telescope, your effectively achieving a similar result, inasmuch the exit pupil provided from the eyepiece (focal length / focal ratio) will  now provide a larger exit pupil with regards to the shorter focal length eyepieces in your collection, providing more light and more detail to your eye, the only down side is the image scale, its smaller.

I really don't note the focal length  in use, as I try to work blind, in total screened out darkness,  I just run through the set  until one provides the best detail, then and only then, does this become the best eyepiece in my world for the remainder of the session if I'm only watching one target. I have not started sketching yet, but I do have the kit, but one of my issues when blacked out is I can't see the paper, and no, I don't even use a red light. This is all specific from home, to avoid my eyes seeing the street lights.

I can settle with a 12mm eyepiece on my scope, from here if I go with a shorter focal length, the image appears to get closer, but as its magnified, the detail is lost, and vice-versa, go with a longer focal length, the image size reduces, but the detail increases, but there are limits to how low/high I can reach, or require, but many of the targets I wish to see, need much darker skies, and quite often only with longer focal length eyepieces and wide angle, such as the 32mm 2" that I admire. 

I admire your image and note the minimal use of graphite, that will save on pencils. One technique that I have seen which interests me is to draw the image as you see fit with either the naked eye or with the aid of telescope/binocular then copy/scan this image into your computer then with a simple colour inversion on the PC/Mac, everything drawn in black comes out silvery/white, as they are in the night sky and everything  else left white will invert to  a dark inky black.

Great I am glad you like this sketch of Jupiter, it reminds me of my last trip to the field. My field spot is available now! it was my first time there in 2017. It's in the middle of a field with absolutely no lights close to me, wow I just can't believe how lucky I am to have an access there.

I love that place so much it's full of memories of my first observations with my 130mm newtonian. I understand why you all have passion for astronomy, it's another calm and infinite world, a pure contact with the sky, some kind of good obligation.

@Charic
I like to watch Jupiter and other planets with low power sometimes, but not really to catch more details on these planets, I am thinking more of the whole picture, the planet with the stars around. It's different then a specific detail exam of the planet, to extract all the small details to sketch for instance. I am starting more and more to appreciate observation at low power, the big picture.

Also, I spent maybe 35 minutes at the orthoscopic to sketch,then after, I took the 32mm with 70 degrees AFOV and it was breathtaking, WWAAAAAOOW incredible!!! Just after that, around 23:00 Montreal time, the moon came out but with a deep red color with light long dusty clouds around it, the tip of the trees plus the heat of the ground were visible.

That was a heck of a moonrise! a wonder to look at and perhaps, the highest moment of my observation.

You should start sketching Charic it's really rewarding to be able to save the views. It's hard to sketch a star cluster because you have to look at the EP and at the sheet maybe 100 times, that's focus / defocus many many times. The red light is not enough to draw faint stars on the paper but it's just enough to cause the loss of dark adaptation and it's messing the averted vision technique required to capture the core of the cluster or the nebula.  DSOs are hard for the eyes.

The use of graphite honestly is dictated by the humidity and the resistance of the paper to it. I just can't get more contrast then that with that kind of paper mixed with humidity. Pushing harder on the pencil will mark.. I wish to improve my contrast but the solution might be to change the paper.

The color inversion technique is great too, for DSO drawings, thank to computers (: Gimp can do it for free

Thanks @laudropb @Stu @mikeDnight@jabeoo1 for your support! you play a role in my motivation!

Archived