SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunt 50 Ha - which eyepieces do you use?

DRT

I have owned my Lunt 50Ha for two years and have continually struggled to find eyepieces that work well with it. My normal EP of choice is my TV Ethos 8mm but there are occasions where it gives too much magnification and it would be nice to have one or two lower power alternatives. However, the vast majority of EPs I have tried in this scope do not reach focus or have difficult eye positioning issues.

What EPs do you use successfully in this scope?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derek, the 9mm vixen SLV was the best eyepiece I used with the 60mm Lunt, eye positioning was a dream :happy7: It's a pity they don't do a 32mm as it would have been great to try in the Quark.

6 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

From my limited experience of a similar scope I find 15mm is a nice size. However my eye has to pretty close to the eyepiece to get a decent view. I'll be following your thread closely. 

Which brand/model of 15mm EP are you using?

Thanks for that, Mark. I'll try to pick up an 11mm and 15mm second hand and give them a go. 

Much cheaper than what I was thinking of so you might just have saved me a small fortune! ?

30 minutes ago, DRT said:

Thanks for that, Mark. I'll try to pick up an 11mm and 15mm second hand and give them a go. 

Much cheaper than what I was thinking of so you might just have saved me a small fortune! ?

You won't regret it Derek - the 11 and 15 TV plossls make an outstanding pair for the LS50.

19 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

You won't regret it Derek - the 11 and 15 TV plossls make an outstanding pair for the LS50.

Good to know. They should go well with the FearherTouch focuser I ordered for it a few hours ago ?

Derek

In the short time we've had our LS50, Susie and I have been using a few of our nocturnal Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces with great success and enjoyment. 

The 12mm, 9mm and 7mm have been our favourites. All giving full disc views. The 7mm is the best giving 50x if the seeing and transparency allow. 

This is with a B600 blocking filter. 

Having had such great surface and prominence views, we've not felt the need to go searching for any other eyepieces. 

(The 25mm, 18mm and 5mm work equally well. But the 3 mentioned and in particular the 7mm are our best).

Simon

I agree with Mark Derek, I found the 11mm TV Plossl about the best there is in my PST so I'm sure it will be similarly excellent in the LS50.

Interesting how different situations suit different eyepieces. For White light solar I found the Leica beat the Plossl, but for Ha I think the Plossls are better.

9 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Mark and I discussed this back along, I think I recommended him the 15mm Plossl after much success with it.  It works an absolute treat and seems to hold up in the under the UK average seeing conditions.  I liked using the 20mm, 15mm & 11mm dependant on what was happening. 

I tried the following with little success:

Delos, Edmund Scientific RKE, Takahashi LE.   

Derek, just cut a long journey short and grab some of the TV plossls !  

10 hours ago, Pig said:

Derek, the 9mm vixen SLV was the best eyepiece I used with the 60mm Lunt, eye positioning was a dream :happy7: It's a pity they don't do a 32mm as it would have been great to try in the Quark.

With my Lunt 60 I use my old Vixen NLV 20mm to gain a small, clear bright image of the entire disc in focus. Increasing magnification with my range of Televues, especially am 8mm Delos, is great for following flaring but the feature needs to be centrally placed in the sweet spot and eye position becomes more critical. Of course the image becomes darker.

Had a quick scan through this thread and can't see any mention of the Baader zoom, I used one for a while in my LS60DS and prefered it to swapping in and out  various TV plossls.

As mentioned the Pentax zoom is a step up and I now use the Leica Aspheric exclusively though it may be a bit heavy for the 50

The advantage of a zoom for solar being it allows you to stay under cover and fiddle about without emerging blinking into the daylight to change eyepieces.

Dave

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

I like my 15mm in my pst mod (with 2x gpc) but also the 15mm Panoptic when I had one. Have you tried yours?

Sold it :rolleyes2:

46 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Had a quick scan through this thread and can't see any mention of the Baader zoom, I used one for a while in my LS60DS and prefered it to swapping in and out  various TV plossls.

As mentioned the Pentax zoom is a step up and I now use the Leica Aspheric exclusively though it may be a bit heavy for the 50

The advantage of a zoom for solar being it allows you to stay under cover and fiddle about without emerging blinking into the daylight to change eyepieces.

Dave

I have tried various zooms in the Lunt 50 including the Baader Mk III and Mk IV, Pentax and Leica and none of them reached focus. I think the only zoom I found that worked with the scope was the Lunt 7-21mm. I might look for one of those and compare it to the TV Plossls.

Reaching focus seems to be a problem with the LS50, can't see why the thing can't be made with a shorter tube unless there's some technical reason that the internal spacing can't be reduced.

Dave

6 hours ago, jabeoo1 said:

Mark and I discussed this back along, I think I recommended him the 15mm Plossl after much success with it.  It works an absolute treat and seems to hold up in the under the UK average seeing conditions.  I liked using the 20mm, 15mm & 11mm dependant on what was happening. 

I tried the following with little success:

Delos, Edmund Scientific RKE, Takahashi LE.   

Derek, just cut a long journey short and grab some of the TV plossls !  

Yep - have got jabeoo to thank for suggesting the TV plossls. Just had a very enjoyable hour in the garden with the 11mm and 15mm. Another key benefit is that they deliver brighter views of the solar disk than other EPs - particularly useful for double stacked set ups at higher magnifications.

3 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Yep - have got jabeoo to thank for suggesting the TV plossls. 

Yes indeed, @jabeoo1 made an excellent recommendation on the TV Plossls - and then sold me one! :smile:

I am sure the two events are entirely unconnected :rolleyes2:  :lol:

I think this should work out great for both the Lunt 50 and my travel kit (TV 60 and C5) as a set of these will be much easier to lug around than my box of Ethi.

1 hour ago, DRT said:

Yes indeed, @jabeoo1 made an excellent recommendation on the TV Plossls - and then sold me one! :smile:

I am sure the two events are entirely unconnected :rolleyes2:  :lol:

I think this should work out great for both the Lunt 50 and my travel kit (TV 60 and C5) as a set of these will be much easier to lug around than my box of Ethi.

:evil62: ......... they do the job so well Derek it would have been cruel to not bring my EP sale to your attention!  You can thank me again in retrospect once you get the views under your belt.  I would feel bad if you were lugging around heavy things in a bag, just think of your poor back :)

5 minutes ago, jabeoo1 said:

:evil62: ......... they do the job so well Derek

Of that I have no doubt, James - I will confess now that this will be the fourth set of TV Plossls that I have owned :rolleyes2:

I never got around to using the others with my Lunt 50 as I bought them for other scopes so I suspect I should have kept some of the ones I have previously sold. The only one I seriously didn't get on with was the 8mm as it felt like you needed to crawl inside it to find the point of eye relief!

4 minutes ago, DRT said:

Of that I have no doubt, James - I will confess now that this will be the fourth set of TV Plossls that I have owned :rolleyes2:

I never got around to using the others with my Lunt 50 as I bought them for other scopes so I suspect I should have kept some of the ones I have previously sold. The only one I seriously didn't get on with was the 8mm as it felt like you needed to crawl inside it to find the point of eye relief!

That was my concern too Derek - otherwise I'd have bought the 8mm too. The 11mm is fine er-wise

Archived