SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion Optics UK Newtonians (VX8 & VX10)

Anyone use either of these shorter focal length Newtonians for visual observing.I would be interested in your experiences.How you maintain them, collimation frequency and the views they give you.I was thinking of the 1/8th or 1/10th wave optics.

Thanks

Martin

Gerry (Jetsteam) also uses extensively the VX10. I would not have considered that you ought encounter any particular problems in terms of maintenance / collimation regarding either of these. I use a standard collimator (premium Cheshire and occasionally Rigel aline, via FLO) and encounter no concerns with my F4.6, VX14. Other collimating tools such as Catseye, would perform yet more critically perhaps. With both my VX8L (which at F6 is of course less critical) and VX14, collimation remains steadfast throughout a session and including transporting. I cannot really think of any particular maintenance or upgrade issues, at least on the current models supplied with very good focusers. For my VX8L, I aligned the inner rim of one of the dust caps with PVC tape as it tended to become a bit loose. Both of these options will be light, compact and convenient to store, transport.

So far as the views, both my scopes are 1/10PV wave optically, with hilux coatings and image definition, contrast are very satisfying.

My experiences can be categorized as dealing with the VX producers and also in terms of telescope performance. The 200mm f3.8 is a semi custom scope where I asked for certain things to be done whereas the VX10 is an "off the rack" telescope bought as advertised. Both telescopes are excellent lunar/planetary performers with the VX10 being the better all rounder of the two. Both scopes support very high mag.

The nebula grabber 200mm f3.8 exhibits more scatter than expected, the VX10 is much better in this regard.

What I would like to see is a true set of test results like Rohr gives instead of a "synthetic fringe map" on any telescope advertised to these high specifications. A post coating set of test results should be the standard IMHO.

http://rohr.aiax.de/hp_new/interferometertest.php

Thank you all for the useful and informed advice. I have had several Newtonians over the years. I know that Skywatcher describe their mirror optics as "Diffraction Limited" . I think this means 1/4 wave. I have had two hand made Newtonians which were extremely good indeed. I did have an Orion Optics VX 8 F6. This telescope was superb. It had a certificate to say that it was 1/10 the wave. I am only hoping that if I go for another 1/10th wave mirror set then I think that I am reducing my chances of disappointment.

I have owned a VX6L, VX6XL, VX8 and still have my VX12 F4. None of them had any issues with collimation - they hold it very well and tweaking it when you need to takes a few seconds.

My one and only dealing with OO UK (for the VX12) was less than ideal but that aspect of their business is well known. Don't expect anything else and you won't be disappointed. That said, I agree with the comments above that a good 2nd hand example is the way to go unless you are keen to have a brand new scope made to your specification. The VX8 Dob that I had last year was immaculate and cost me £260.

I have a VX10 1/10 wave. Can't imagine I'll ever sell it, it's superb. I get great views on most things. Jupiter and Saturn excellent, mars not so good. The moon is great, as are star clusters, double stars, and planetary nebula, and other deep space such as M42. My light polutions not so good for galaxies or some of the fainter nebula but I can see some of the veil with a filter. 

At f4.8 I can get some fairly wide views, but is easy to colimate, and holds its collimation very well. I hardly ever have to touch the secondary, and often don't bother checking the primary as it holds it so well. I suppose if I travelled with it I might need to do it more often. 

It's a very portable scope, with a small footprint, and in my opinion is as near to an all round scope you can get.

I have been offered an Orion Optics UK ten inch F4.8 Newtonian with 1/10th wave optics.I am going to buy this.

Thanks for the advice.

On 14/04/2017 at 23:53, Scooot said:

I have a VX10L 1/10 wave. Can't imagine I'll ever sell it, it's superb. I get great views on most things. Jupiter and Saturn excellent, mars not so good. The moon is great, as are star clusters, double stars, and planetary nebula, and other deep space such as M42. My light polutions not so good for galaxies or some of the fainter nebula but I can see some of the veil with a filter. 

At f4.8 I can get some fairly wide views, but is easy to colimate, and holds its collimation very well. I hardly ever have to touch the secondary, and often don't bother checking the primary as it holds it so well. I suppose if I travelled with it I might need to do it more often. 

It's a very portable scope, with a small footprint, and in my opinion is as near to an all round scope you can get.

Thanks Richard.This is very encouraging.I am going to pick a ten Orion Optics 1/10th wave during the week.I plan to mount it on a tripod with Altair Sabre mount and counter weights.This will have a height extension of approx six inches to bring to a good eyelevel and prevent the bottom of the tube from hitting the tripod legs.

Martin.

8 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

I have been offered an Orion Optics UK ten inch F4.8 Newtonian with 1/10th wave optics.I am going to buy this.

Thanks for the advice.

Congratulations! I'm sure you will love it :wink: 

1 hour ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Thanks Richard.This is very encouraging.I am going to pick a ten Orion Optics 1/10th wave during the week.I plan to mount it on a tripod with Altair Sabre mount and counter weights.This will have a height extension of approx six inches to bring to a good eyelevel and prevent the bottom of the tube from hitting the tripod legs.

Martin.

No probs, hope you get a chance to use it :) I should have said I bought mine a few years ago (new) with one of the original focussers which are ok but could be better. The current focussers are much better so if you're not buying new bare that in mind. I now use a feather touch with it.

6 minutes ago, Scooot said:

No probs, hope you get a chance to use it :) I should have said I bought mine a few years ago (new) with one of the original focussers which are ok but could be better. The current focussers are much better so if you're not buying new bare that in mind. I now use a feather touch with it.

Agreed. I sold the focuser (a re-badged Baader SteelTrack) from my new VX12 here just a few days ago as I replaced it with a FeatherTouch that I already owned when I bought the scope. The new OO UK focusers are superb and a real step up from the old version.

10 hours ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Thanks for the advice.

Is this the 10" VX your getting?

That's right Nightfisher. My initial thoughts were that a ten inch might be too heavy.But not really so when I remember back a few years ago when I owned a Skywatcher ten inch F5 Newtonian.

appreciate its not VX8 or 10, though ive got the OO VX12 F4 PV1/10 and optics are excellent and really impressed - collimation holds well. I do use a televue Paracorr 2 given its F4 - for me i personally notice difference and appreciate difference in views having spent a couple of nights comparing with/without - not essential more nice to have. I did have this modified in that focuser position was changed too so dont need to have paracorr as far out, hence more comfortable to use. Finder was top notch as was focuser. I did have small issue when bought, after service could do with being more customer focused, apart from that cant fault it. I wont be selling its one of my most used scopes. I use it 100% visual currently (no time to image!) I bought the F4 over slower scope (higher F number) due to smaller length (for me usability was key with 'lower' focuser position since use 100% on either AZEQ6 or EQ5 mounts

Archived