Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn 2017

astroavani

b7211cbc2013d1ec8870674003c171ec.1824x0_

First acceptable result on Saturn on a mid-night sight, I have nothing to complain about since I believe I'm starting in good style.
Second largest planet in the Solar System and the second largest "owner" of moons: Saturn and its 62 natural satellites are not easy to unravel, but some spacecraft and spacecraft have already brought us many answers about the gaseous planet. In terms of atmospheric composition and rotation, it is quite similar to Jupiter and precisely for this reason it was baptized with the name of the father of the god Jupiter in Roman mythology.

Its core, it is believed, is composed of rocks, but the planet is basically surrounded by helium and hydrogen and does not have a solid surface. Its hue is yellow and the famous rings, first observed by Galileo Galilei in 1610, are a great mystery apart: there are theories about their origin, but none of them have been confirmed for the time being.

Four ships have already passed through the planet and the last one, which arrived in 2004, still produces studies and analyzes on Saturn and its moons, in addition to the Cassini spacecraft, which began operations in 1997 and is due to retire in 2017.
Http://www.astrobin.com/full/291736/0/

12 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Saturn is really quite low from the UK for the next few years but if the atmosphere is steady, who knows, we may still get some great views.

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing some of your Saturn sketches with the Tak FC100 when seeing allows, Mike!

Jeremy

14 hours ago, Kanori24 said:

I can't wait set my eyes on this beautiful giant, even it will just be a spec on my little 5" reflector :D

Don't underestimate your telescope, under suitable conditions Saturn takes higher magnification than Jupiter so it should be possible to provide a similar image scale. A 5" reflector is quite capable of showing the rings and the Cassini Division well.  :icon_biggrin:

Archived