Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GRS.

1 hour ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Unfortunately for me the GRS will be gone by the time the sun sets, and the air becomes steady. :( 

there will be plenty more transits in the future. I don't think it's going anywhere for a while!!

For the first time in a while I had really good seeing and transparency for Jupiter this evening while waiting for the moon to be high enough to image. Lovely detail in the belts at 125x with the 102, lovely colour detail coming through too instead of the awful washed out mush I've seen the last few outings. SEB and NEB showed me some nice details during a good few patches of very good seeing. Some nice swirls trailing behind GRS and in the NEB a dark patch and some nice swirls as well. A belt to the north of the NEB and south of the SEB flitted into view occasionally and the Galilean moons where in a lovely configuration like a string of pearls all in a line, 3 & 1 either side of the showstopper.

After an hour on Jove I had a spell observing the moon before grabbing some image data. 16-18 days old is an absolute favourite, my first views with anything other than the mk1 eyeball were during this phase. Crisium, Cleomedes, Langrenus, Messier and Messier A, Endymion, Atlas & Hercules, the complex mass of the southern highlands starting to reestablish themselves, it brings it all back to me. The seeing was still good with some excellent patches here and there. Pierce and Picard in Crisium looked outstanding amongst the wrinkle ridges, razor sharp at times. Just lovely.

Then onto imaging, in for a cheeky astro snack and the images are cooking as I type this. Happy days. :)

Archived