Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explore Scientific 62° Series LER Eyepieces

More eyepieces :smile: 

The new Explore Scientific 62° Series LER eyepieces are now available to buy here in the UK. 

We haven't had an opportunity to try them yet but are intrigued by their traditional design and emphasis on performance and build quality over largest apparent FOV. 

Not badly priced either, considering their sealed Argon-purged waterproof construction. 

es_62_1.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Hi Steve, these were talked about on a recent thread, might be of interest? I was initially excited about these, but not great about the eye relief unfortunately :(  

Eek!  If the conversation in that thread is right the info we have regarding eye-relief is wrong!  I will hide the page after posting this until we have had a chance to check. Will probably be after the Easter weekend... 

thanks for the heads-up Chris :smile: 

3 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Hi Steve, I hope we are wrong but unfortunately think the info might be right :( 

It would be great to have this clarified! thanks :thumbsup:

We will get to the bottom of it when we reopen after the Easter weekend. Meanwhile I have removed the page at our website and the link in my original post. 

The joys of astro retail... :blush:

28 minutes ago, FLO said:

We will get to the bottom of it when we reopen after the Easter weekend. Meanwhile I have removed the page at our website and the link in my original post. 

The joys of astro retail... :blush:

The page and link are back. I can see what I have done, I wrongly assumed the eye-relief for the 26mm applied to all focal lengths. If I weren't rushing to tie up loose ends before we closed for Easter I might have read the full spec' properly. Silly mistake :blink:

Steve

I just find it strange that these are labelled LER (long eye relief) eyepieces yet most of them, especially the shorter focal lengths, have very little eye relief?

For 60* and LER you're much better off with the BST's if you ask me.

The slightly odd thing is that the ES (Europe) website is being rather coy about giving the eye relief on these. They provide a slew of other specs but not the very one that people will be looking for when they see "LER" in the product title :icon_scratch:

47 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

I just find it strange that these are labelled LER (long eye relief) eyepieces yet most of them, especially the shorter focal lengths, have very little eye relief?

It is curious. 

1 hour ago, Chris Lock said:

For 60* and LER you're much better off with the BST's if you ask me.

Maybe it stands for Little Eye Relief on the shorter focal lengths? ;) 

I've picked a middle focal length EP (14mm) to look at the ER and it's just 11mm.

Bottom left of page in the link:

https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/Accessories/62-LER-Eyepiece-14mm-Ar.html

Having said this I think the 14mm is the worst example, the 5.5mm has an ER of something like 15mm, so it's not scaling with focal length! 

Over on cloudynights they seem to have decided that these are just a reclothing of the Meade 5000 series plossls from a few years ago, and with some justification I suspect.

But the 5.5mm and 9mm might be something different IMO given they were the first prototypes spotted and they do have more ER than the 9mm Meade 5000 I own. I could of course be very wrong... and I can't remember whether there were focal lengths beyond 26mm in that range either.

James

9 hours ago, Chris Lock said:

I've picked a middle focal length EP (14mm) to look at the ER and it's just 11mm.

Having said this I think the 14mm is the worst example, the 5.5mm has an ER of something like 15mm, so it's not scaling with focal length! 

Here are the specifications from our product description page: 

explore_scientific_62-degree_eyepieces.png

8 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Given these being new to the market and no one really knowing anything about them are there any plans to send a set out for review? 

Good idea, will see what we can do :smile: 

18 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Actually the ER isn't bad other than the 14 & 9mm. 

It's not bad but ...... it ought to be better for an eyepiece range touted as LER IMHO. A number of manufacturers have squeezed 15mm ER out of 100 degree eyepieces.

Just now, Gavster said:

I did get some 14mm ones from Germany a month or two back but the eye relief was too tight for me so they just went back without me using them.

The 14mm ones do seem to be the short straw in terms of ER :( They do look nice but I'm not sure they should be labeling ALL of these LER?

On a side note, did you get them from Bresser.de? if so how did you contact them and get a reply to send them back, if you don't mind me asking? I've just bought and tested their new 90mm f/13.3 refractor, and it arrived unbelievably with a short PLASTIC clamshell to hold it to a mount. I can cope with the focuser and all other bits being plastic but a plastic clamshell is a big no no on a scope this loooong! I wanted to return it for an upgrade to a metal telescope :lol: but not much luck on several emails so far? :( 

Just now, John said:

It's not bad but ...... it ought to be better for an eyepiece range touted as LER IMHO. A number of manufacturers have squeezed 15mm ER out of 100 degree eyepieces.

You're absolutely right John, I've just had a large glass of wine so I'm just feeling a bit sympathetic :) 

Archived