Narrowband

Planetary imaging with DSLR

1st try last night of imaging jupiter with DSLR using EOS MOVIE and Registax. Not as good a result as i wished for but any guides or settings would be much appreciated. Also is that the great red spot showing quite faint in the bottom right? Was taken last night about 11pm

17917932_10207303809347152_1078925829111838371_o.jpg

1 hour ago, Stu Wilson said:

Skywatcher 200p

Neq6pro

Canon 650d unmodded

Unguided.

I think the 650d has 640x480 crop mode video, if it has it's the best thing to capture planets with a Barlow may help as well.

Dave

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I think the 650d has 640x480 crop mode video, if it has it's the best thing to capture planets with a Barlow may help as well.

Dave

Nope, I've got the 650D and it doesn't have the movie crop mode, that functionality is restricted to the 60D, 60Da and the 550D unfortunately. Hence I use EOS Movie Record or BYEOS.

17 hours ago, Stu Wilson said:

Thats a great pic. What setup do you use?

Not my pic but the person that took this picture used :

Celestron C6 (approximately f/18 with Astro-Physics Advanced Convertible Barlow) and a QHY5III-178C camera. Image acquisition with Firecapture, stacking with Autostakkert! (best 20% of 10710 frames), sharpening in Registax, and final tweaks in Photoshop CC2017.

... I hope im not breaking a astrophotographers code with this :/

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 22:07, StuartJPP said:

Nope, I've got the 650D and it doesn't have the movie crop mode, that functionality is restricted to the 60D, 60Da and the 550D unfortunately. Hence I use EOS Movie Record or BYEOS.

ive just checked the settings in my 650D and it does have the 640x480 movie crop :-)

Maybe a newer firmware?

31 minutes ago, Stu Wilson said:

ive just checked the settings in my 650D and it does have the 640x480 movie crop :-)

Maybe a newer firmware?

There's a difference between 640X480 and 640X480 crop mode at 1 to 1 pixel ratio.

It may just be VGA using 4:3 of the centre of the sensor as opposed to VGA using actual 640X480 pixels which reproduces a video cam effect better for capturing planets

Dave

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

There's a difference between 640X480 and 640X480 crop mode at 1 to 1 pixel ratio.

It may just be VGA using 4:3 of the centre of the sensor as opposed to VGA using actual 640X480 pixels which reproduces a video cam effect better for capturing planets

Dave

I agree, most have VGA mode (640x480) but not at a 1:1 crop mode which is what is required for planetary. The entire frame is shrunk down to 640x480 rather than the centre being cropped to a 1:1 (100%) resolution.

Here's a list of (most) of the Canon cameras that support different crop modes...
http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/EQ_TESTS/Canon_One_To_One_Pixel_Resolution.HTM

Archived