Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Space Oddity

Filter care advice please

I have just received a Zwo 5-position filter wheel and Baader LRGB filters. What is the best way to keep them as clean as possible? Do I place them in the filter wheel and remove them when I have finished using them or can I leave them in the wheel and then place the wheel in my eye piece case? Also are they as delicate as eye pieces, or if you take care can you clean them with a brush and air puffer?

Mine went into my filter wheel when o bought them and have stayed there ever since. My CCD/ filter wheel and scope stay connected in a flight case all the time.

• Like 1

Try to keep any dust out when you install them. Then keep them there. The more you handle them, the more risk for dust, fingerprints and scratches.

For cleaning optics, Baader has microfiber cloth and optics cleaning fluid that work well. Good filters will have a dielectric hard coat that can stand wiping with a soft cloth.

• Like 1

Geordie85 and Wim, thanks for your advice. So I will get them in my wheel and leave them there. I have already made space in my flight case!