Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
So on Tuesday night I spent the evening imaging the moon with my Celestron 9.25 SCT and DSLR as shown below and am happy with the images I collated (I only took images as I did intend to take capture video but I got carried away and time was getting on).
I have approx 350 jpeg (and the equivalent in raw) images and have used the Microsoft image composite editor to stitch the frames together without editing them first etc but I wonder if I'm going the images an injustice?
I'm not ready to pay for editing software as I know there is a lot of very good free downloads out there and I'm asking for recommendations. Should I be processing the frames before/after stitching and what software would you recommend? Please offer any advice you have.
I will post the resulting image once I'm happy with the outcome 😁
Thanks in advance,
While clouded in and waiting for knee surgery, I started playing with data from the Liverpool Telescope (http://telescope.livjm.ac.uk/). I downloaded all the NSO data on NGC 2841, a very nice flocculent galaxy in Ursa Major, and started processing in PixInsight. While I couldn't get anywhere with the colour of this galaxy, the luminance created from the combined filters revealed structures that I've never seen before in an image of this galaxy.
I combined a colour image of NGC2841 with an inverted superstretch of the combined SDSS-r, Bessell-V, and Bessell-B filters.
Red: 35 frames SDSS-r' Green: 16 frames Bessell-V Blue: 20 frames Bessell-B L image:
integration of all 71 frames, approximately 100 minutes total exposure time. Field size: roughly 10 x 10 arcminutes.
The arrow points at a weak loop, and the circle shows a slight density increase in the weak structure.
A few years ago (already? time flies) @gorann and I hoovered the Liverpool Telescope archives and processed most of the DS data that is in there. https://telescope.livjm.ac.uk/Gallery/
Having not much to do yesterday, I returned for scraps. I found three image files on ngc 891, one red image, one green and one blue image. Each has an exposure time of 90 seconds. I combined the three images into one synthetic L image and processed the data as LRGB. So here it is, 4.5 mintues of professional data
(click on the image for a full size view)
Clearly it pays off to have large pixels and a large mirror on a high mountain top. The telescope is an f/10 RC design with a 2 m mirror and a 4K x 4K pixel camera. Pixelsize is 15 um, but all images are binned 2x2, giving an effective pixelsize of 30 um in a 2 000 x 2 000 array.
The master images had a lot of cosmic rays and hot pixels, so in creating the L master I had to use pixel rejection, which I'd not do normally. I removed much of the cosmic rays and bad pixels in the rgb combined image, before stretching. Here's what the original rgb data looked like.
Second time I undertake this kind of endeavour. Many many movies were shot. Over 300Gb of data. Stitching was done by hand. in adobe Photoshop.
CFF 300f//20 cassegrain
ASI174MM with Astronomik proplanet807
processing using Autostakkert, lynkeos and adobe photoshop.
Image is a wee bit too large to add to post direclty. hence just the link.
Make sure to check out at full res.
A bit of an odd one aspect ratio wise, but fun to put together - first light for my new ASI294MC OSC and technically my first experimental attempt at a mosaic!
My first stab at using the camera meant I went for 30 second subs, I need to experiment more to settle on my ideal sub length...still, the results are decent for a low integration time of 1.7 hours.
I love the Orion constellation and if I had the skies and time, I would mosaic the whole thing, but failing that, I can do bits and pieces! Orion's Belt is amazing to me, the three stars, Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka, very distinctive in the night sky.
Full details on Astrobin.
Thanks for looking!