Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I didn't realise there was data on this in the School's Observatory archive until I posted a question on the forum. It turns out that you have to have a teacher or student account as the data is in the GCSE Astronomy section.
When I looked I found a lot of images, this is just 120 seconds of R, G, And B. I had to do a gradient removal and a DDP followed by a couple of histogram stretches, ending with a lw-pass filter to get rid of the noise.
The rest of the images in the archive are just 60 and 90 sec which might be OK for preserving the cores.
There's more structure in the image, including the tidal tail but it's very noisy.
7 panel lunar mosaic from 12/10/2017 captured with skywatcher 120mm (F8.33), & Lumenera 2-1M.
Best 75% of 1150 - 1350 frames were stacked for each of the 7 panels (frame rate kept dropping) then sharpened in Registax6 before stitching them together in PS6 using the photomerge option.
You could call this my first proper attempt at andromeda, thought I've imaged it quite a few times now. But this is the first time I've managed to get most of it in one picture, which required me to do a two-pane mosaic.
The left side of the mosaic is stitched 27 subs of 2 minutes ISO 3200, while the right side is 28 subs, + 1 sub of 8 minutes ISO 800 (just to test what difference exposure contra ISO does to details).
I am very pleased with the result of it, but I also discovered some of the pains of doing mosaics, as getting an even background was very hard. Gradient X-terminator would do a decent job, but couldn't quite nail it, so I used it in conjunction with a few other techniques. The stitching was easy and painless, as I just used Microsoft ICE.
Some feedback on the processing would be lovely, as I am not sure if this is my final version. I've starred myself blind processing it..
56 subs (ISO 3200 and 800)
2 minute exposure (+one 8 minute)
1.96 hours Total Exposure
Celestron Advanced VX Mount
Explore Scientific HR Coma Corrector
Stacked with DSS, stitched with Microsoft ICE, processed in Photoshop CS2