SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Cornwall

symmetal

Hello everyone,

Been lurking quite a while and have learned a lot from reading all the posts so thought I should introduce myself.

My first scope was an ETX-125 bought around 2000 followed by a 10” LX200GPS. The light pollution was pretty high so interest tailed off until I could move to darker skies after retirement.

A few years ago I moved from Surrey to rural North Cornwall so skies are much darker. I became interested in imaging, particularly  DSOs, and after reading the forum and 'Making Every Second Count' realised the above scopes were not really suitable. So I splashed out on an FLT-98, an AZ-EQ6 and an Atik One 6.0, and mounted them on a permanent concrete pier with a small roll-off plastic shed to protect it. Been getting better images with time when the clouds allow. I need another shed to house the LX200 for some planetary imaging and viewing but that's a future project.

Until retiring I was a TV broadcasting engineer for about 36 years so naturally had a big interest in electronics. It was all analogue when I started and all digital when I left.

Anyway, thanks for reading and apologies for not posting earlier. :blush:

excellent scopes excellent set ups. perhaps you could help me please, i have posted a problem with my slewing and you with techy experience maybe a soulution.may i ask you kindly to have a look at what ive posted and possibly offer me some help please.

many thanks

Thanks everyone for the welcome. :biggrin:

mysteriousnights - Sorry to hear of your scope problems. You've had plenty of help from the other members it seems and I don't have Celestron equipment so can't really offer anything more. Hope you get it sorted in the end.

An owner of the iconic FLT-98. Take great care of that scope. North Cornwall is not the easiest location for imaging, I recall one episode of Coast describing Cornwall as the UK's storm central.

Thank you for the welcomes. :biggrin:

14 hours ago, ronin said:

An owner of the iconic FLT-98. Take great care of that scope. North Cornwall is not the easiest location for imaging, I recall one episode of Coast describing Cornwall as the UK's storm central.

You're not wrong. The winter before last when we had a bit of a blow I popped out around midnight to check on the shed and it wasn't there. Well the base still was. I brought the scope and whatever bits and pieces I could find by torchlight back to the house and covered the mount with a plastic bag. Next day I found the shed dis-assembled at the other end of the garden. Amazingly it was undamaged, just covered in mud. It went back together fine and I now  fit two heavy duty lashing straps around it if strong winds are forecast. It's been fine ever since. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived