SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

High resolution Crab Nebula

gorann

This is HaRGB data that I processed from subs downloaded from the Liverpool Telescope. I had to be very selective in choosing the subs as they were quite variable, some had eggy stars and others slightly rotated or with slightly different resolution, which messed up the stacking (and some tedious detective work had to go into finding the guilty ones). Exposures used varied between 60 and 120 s. The following filters were used: sdss-r (red), Bessell-B (blue), Bessell-V (green) and Ha6566. Could not find any clear filter subs to use for lum. Totally, 58 subs, so about 1.5 hours of data from this 2 meter RC scope on La Palma.

Stacked in Nebulosity 4 and processed in Photoshop CS5

I was stuck by the sharp outer edges of the nebula in some areas. It is not due to me using layer masks  - it actually seems to be like that, but maybe I messed up somewhere. 

All comments and suggestion welcome!

LT M1 HaRGB PS20sign.jpg

21 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

V nice!

Thanks simmo,

From my up-load to SGL (which is always good a revealing imperfections) I could see that I needed to crop away some stacking artifacts on the edges so here is a cropped version.

LT M1 HaRGB PS17sign.jpg

5 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Superb Goran .... but ... the Liverpool telescope ..... isn't that ....... [whisper] cheating?  :wink:

Thanks Steve!

I know that we are on the same side here against the puritans. I am happy being a cheater when the LT got that largely unused treasure of subs just collecting dust. Anyone having a look at their own gallery would find that they do not really put any effort into processing their data into pretty images, but I expect a lot of important astrophysics have come out of them. So why not reuse them for AP? Like you, I have got my own obsy and equipment and love using it on the rare occasion when the sky permits imaging. Up here it will no happen until September.

1 minute ago, gorann said:

Thanks Steve!

I know that we are on the same side here against the puritans. I am happy being a cheater when the LT got that largely unused treasure of subs just collecting dust. Anyone having a look at their own gallery would find that they do not really put any effort into processing their data into pretty images, but I expect a lot of important astrophysics have come out of them. So why not reuse them for AP? Like you, I have got my own obsy and equipment and love using it on the rare occasion when the sky permits imaging. Up here it will no happen until September.

I thought you'd enjoy my little joke!

1 hour ago, Victor Boesen said:

almost looks like it was a 3d picture!! very nice detail. You have certainly done it again!!

Thanks Victor, much appreciated!

1 hour ago, Craney said:

Maybe a 2m RC will come up cheap on the classifieds......??

No need to wait for one Craney, just appreciate what the UK taxpayers (or EU?) put out on the net for free. You could not afford the mount and the building anyway.....

4 minutes ago, gorann said:

.....and the building anyway.....

ah... you would be amazed what I can russle up with some scaffold planks and a bit of discarded decking.....  my shed is my kingdom !!

Increased a bit on the blue and green channels, which revealed some of the blue stuff leaking out of the nebula (I liked it so much better that I edited my original post by replacing it with this image)

LT M1 HaRGB PS20sign.jpg

20 hours ago, gnomus said:

Superb Goran .... but ... the Liverpool telescope ..... isn't that ....... [whisper] cheating?  :wink:

No, it's a remote setup for us cheapskates. (But Göran is planning to do the honourable thing and join a remote site.)

Great image, btw, Göran

14 hours ago, wimvb said:

No, it's a remote setup for us cheapskates.

Great image, btw, Göran

27 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Nice work Goran - super details

Thanks Wim & Paddy, much appreciated!

The nebula struck me as a bit dark when I had a look at the image this morning, so here is a lighter version

LT M1 HaRGB PS21sign.jpg

Archived