Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Want to photograph the ISS this Sundays solar transit

I have been trying to photograph the space station for ages now with no real success. I have managed to capture with a video but way too overexposed so just like a white dot. I have managed also to use multiple snapshots giving the same result.

I have read many articles and successes stories both on here and youtube etc., and they are all very informative. I have been looking at various sites to tell when the ISS makes a pass and I have found using http://transit-finder.com that on Sunday 16th it will make a solar transit from my location.

I figure that this may be my best chance to get it.

My main question so I do not waste this opportunity is what would be the best settings to use such as what shutter speed, ISO, Video mode 5x ?.

My setup will be:-

Orion Starmax Mak-Cass 90mm 1250mm focal length with Solar Filter.

Canon 1300D dslr with T adapter connected to telescope (no eyepiece).

Backyard Eos connected to camera.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this and also generally for non solar transits what would be the best settings for capturing the ISS. Some sites say use video mode others say use multiple burst but I cant find other info such as shutter or ISO etc.

Thanks

I find that even with the spot meter in use, the exposure meter in the camera cannot be relied on. I simply do a series of test exposures in manual mode (typically at 200 ISO, but for a fast-moving object a higher setting might be better), reducing shutter speed as needed, until the histogram of the image shows the highest grey level is 90% of maximum, or a bit less

Do what I did for the mercury transit.

Assuming you will use baader film or similar, set up and focus on the sun and set your exposure so you can see sunspots - or if none about some texture on the sun's surface or the histogram at about 30%. Don't use too low an ISO so you can have a short exposure to maximise the chance of getting a sharp image.

Archived