Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Registax hardware requirements

Nova2000

• 2 weeks later...

Registax had a tendency to freeze on me every so often,  so i changed to use autostakkert2 to stack the images and then use Registax wavelets to process it. Autostakkert2 is much faster too. 

Edit: i use it on a notebook with Windows 7, 4gb of ram,  core i5 processor. 

I'm having the same issues Registax opens the .avi file it lets me align and run limit but when I click stack it quickly goes to 100% but I have a blank screen. AS2 on the other hand does not even open the video. Checked Task Manager and nothing else is using much resource on laptop.

7 hours ago, Dinglem said:

I'm having the same issues Registax opens the .avi file it lets me align and run limit but when I click stack it quickly goes to 100% but I have a blank screen. AS2 on the other hand does not even open the video. Checked Task Manager and nothing else is using much resource on laptop.

same here . as2 does not open video for me too.

It might not be the root of your problems, but it might help: don't use AVI.

You get into lots more problems (codecs support, for instance: if you have a 64bit OS you'll probably have 64bit codecs, but registax (a 32bit app) won't have access to them.

And most importanty, AVI are NOT lossless. You'll get lower quality images, and capture time will be slower because the capture software also have to compress frames in real time.

Always use SER for planetary imaging, it's simpler, and you might be much happier about the results.

20 minutes ago, GuLinux said:

Always use SER for planetary imaging, it's simpler, and you might be much happier about the results.

Ok thanks for the advice so does anyone know of a good reliable file converter that will change the captures to SER?

That's a very good start :)

Try using PNG instead of bmp for file exporting: they are both lossless, but PNG is more suitable for web publishing, as it is also compressed.

Also, next time, just skip the AVI altogether: with your capturing application, select SER output instead of avi, so you can skip the conversion via PIPP altogether, and avoid loosing quality.

Cheers

9 hours ago, GuLinux said:

And most importanty, AVI are NOT lossless. You'll get lower quality images, and capture time will be slower because the capture software also have to compress frames in real time.

This is actually incorrect, AVIs are lossless unless you use a lossy codec.  If you capture in AVI format with a RAW codec you will not lose any quality and this is how planetary imagers have traditionally captured their data.

However, I completely agree that the SER format is superior and capturing directly in SER format is the way forward.  AVI should be consigned to the history books when it comes to planetary imaging!  Also, I will take this opportunity to plug my SER Player program (https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/ser-player):

ser-player.png&key=4862abe144a8399105e25

This allows you to watch you SER files as if they were a normal video file and is available for Windows, Linux and OS X.

Cheers,
Chris

8 minutes ago, cgarry said:

This is actually incorrect, AVIs are lossless unless you use a lossy codec.  If you capture in AVI format with a RAW codec you will not lose any quality and this is how planetary imagers have traditionally captured their data.

That's right, and I found a few too.. I was just assuming what nowadays is often the default: a lossy codec (sometimes MJPEG).

Or, to be more precise: with AVI you have to actively check if the codec in use is lossless, with SER you can avoid that :)

8 minutes ago, cgarry said:

However, I completely agree that the SER format is superior and capturing directly in SER format is the way forward.  AVI should be consigned to the history books when it comes to planetary imaging!  Also, I will take this opportunity to plug my SER Player program (https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/ser-player):

This allows you to watch you SER files as if they were a normal video file and is available for Windows, Linux and OS X.

Cheers,
Chris

I am a fan, and I use it very often :)

I might even have a couple of feature requests, but I'll PM for that :p

Archived