Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

nightfisher

Large Asteroid passing Earth

3 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I'm not saying who's right. I'm doing some checking myself!

Understood ! Two heads are best :) 

I was in the process of looking for prominent stars that it might be passing ( ever hopeful of a break in the clouds, when the time comes  ha! best laid plans oft gang a'glee etc) cos mag11 is not exactly spectacular :(

JUst about every source I can find is showing JO25 taking the track as shown by Stellarium. So perhaps SkySafari has bombed on this one!

But I wouldn't bet on it...just yet :)

1 minute ago, Guy Wells said:

Stellarium has not been wrong once in our experience.

Thanks for showing that Stellarium offering, Stellarium was never wrong with me, but I was sometimes wrong with Stellarium !!!!

You know - garbage in etc. , which is why I posted my earlier caveats with my charts :)

Good, right, all we need now are some mag6 marker stars within 1/2deg  !?!

• Like 2

Ah!

SkySafari has 2 sets of elements for this the ones I used were from January. The other set are from March and agree with everyone else! :)

1492123291628.thumb.jpg.3e4ddf94864a4a730784784d64a82d62.jpg

• Like 1

It's an interesting asteroid. We will provide optical measurements. It is also the best Goldstone radar candidate of the year. Arercibo will also be on duty.

5 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Ah!

Ah !

But it is always good to compare,

Does it also have clouds and no-clouds options, I've not found that control in Stellarium yet :(

• Like 1

Just now, SilverAstro said:

Ah !

But it is always good to compare,

Does it also have clouds and no-clouds options, I've not found that control in Stellarium yet :(

It has user selectable skyglow and realistic horizons. No clouds though. just look outside for them!

Both SkySafari and Stellarium are brilliant. For a long while the development of SkySafari seemed to be just ahead of Stellarium, in terms of features, appearance and accuracy. But there is little if anything between them now. Both can control a telescope, plot satellites and give realistic sky views. 

So for home/laptop use it's always stellarium that I use. On my mobile Android devices (phone and tablet) it's SkySafari (which I just upgraded to 5 Pro). On evenings like this it's both as I compare the two and get weird looks off the MD! :)

7 minutes ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Unfortunately won't be able to see it even if it is clear. I need a bigger scope :(

That at least is safer than wishing for a bigger asteroid closer :angel9:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

That at least is safer than wishing for a bigger asteroid closer :angel9:

Haha, true. Rather not have my neighborhood turn into a crater! x_x

• Like 1

Can anyone help me find this on SkySafari 5Pro? I've updated the database but can't seem to find it. Using an iPhone 6 Plus

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Can anyone help me find this on SkySafari 5Pro? I've updated the database but can't seem to find it. Using an iPhone 6 Plus

Stu I found it searching for 2014 JO25 on my ipadIMG_2359.thumb.PNG.421bb33cbb745266ca9f56d3fd4783fd.PNG

The O next to the J is a letter

18 minutes ago, Scooot said:

Stu I found it searching for 2014 JO25 on my ipadIMG_2359.thumb.PNG.421bb33cbb745266ca9f56d3fd4783fd.PNG

The O next to the J is a letter

Thank you, found it! :) 

Looks like it will be moving at a fair old luck, close to 12 boo for me at 10.40pm. Clear skies? Not likely I'm sure!

49 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looks like it will be moving at a fair old luck, close to 12 boo for me at 10.40pm. Clear skies? Not likely I'm sure!

Don't forget to update the minor body orbit data. I've done that before, makes it much harder to find it. :) 

Alas, be away for work when this occurs. Looking at the forcast for the night of th 19th doesn't look too promising until after midnight anyway where I'll be staying. :( 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

As Scoot says, update your params ! We had a long chat last night about this, earlier in this thread :) and it aint gonna be in Boo, as PaulM found :(

At 10:40pm BST 18April it will be near Zeta Cepheus on its way in towards us
At 10:40pm BST 19April it will be about half way between Alkaid, Eta Ursa Major and Beta Coma Berenices on its way back out !

Its closest approach will be in between those (in Draco) during daylight for us :(

Check out my charts here

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/291164-large-aasteroid-passing-earth/?do=findComment&comment=3190947

and here

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/291164-large-aasteroid-passing-earth/?do=findComment&comment=3191635

and Guy's confirmation here

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/291164-large-aasteroid-passing-earth/?do=findComment&comment=3191721

Wouldn't want you to miss it :):) but I fear you may be right about the clouds ! :D

Edited by SilverAstro

3 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

As Scoot says, update your params !

I had just updated them, so perhaps SkySafari is still wrong?

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I had just updated them, so perhaps SkySafari is still wrong?

oh errr !

Hang on, I have a link and chart from Sky&Telescope somewhere , , , back in a min.  >>

Yes, it looks like SkySafari has retained an old set of elements along side the current ones, looking at the other screen shots above.

I thought it was just me because I downloaded the most recent ones using the solar system editing tool. But anyway, after some conflaberation I found the problem.