Narrowband

Large Asteroid passing Earth

nightfisher

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

I use the SkyMap Pro v10 planetarium but the recommended link for downloading orbital elements for asteroids (http://www.astro.cz/mpcorb/SkyMap.CAT) no longer works for me. Anyone know an alternative that I could use?

Would this help:

http://minorplanetcenter.net/db_search/show_object?object_id=2014+JO25&commit=Show

If I have loaded it into Stellarium right,, for the UK  it will be in the square of Cepheus for the night of 18 > 19 April heading towards Draco, Pic 1  (but the Draco pictures in the earthsky link will be during daylight for us ) .  Then on the night of 19 > 20 April from the Uma/CVn region , passing between M3 and CVn, on into the corner of Coma Berenices Pic 2.

Edit : The time panel is showing midnight BST (I keep meaning to reset it to UTC, but roundtuits !)

stellarium-006.jpg.8611c737c2378b4882c6550e628b484f.jpg

stellarium-007.jpg.d22063589288943e840320b9609b3844.jpg

1 hour ago, FenlandPaul said:

At around 3 degrees per hour at its peak, the movement could presumably be just about detected at high magnification? Certainly with a sketch a few minutes apart. Exciting stuff.

Just about detecatable I think.

The last one of these that I observed was so close that I had to actually pan the scope to keep up with it !

Sketching was out of the question with that one :rolleyes2:

As I said earlier IF I have got Stellarium right ( I often get confused in it !) so it'd be a good idea if someone else could confirm my plots before the due date !! but they look good compared to those in the earthsky link for the Americas :

This is a continuous plot I get for its position every hour beginning at 20:00 BST 18 April, - the left red marker, through to the 21 April. Moving quickest through Draco but that is daylight here :(

JO25.thumb.jpg.ed986b6e853e8d1fe7b27a0a4c6064d3.jpg

On 12/04/2017 at 06:05, nightfisher said:

It seems April 20th will see a huge Asteroid pass close to Earth, might just be visible to naked eye from some locations

Unfortunately 2014 JO25 will not be visible to the naked eye.

Here is a screen shot of what SkySafari thinks the track will be:

1492119128320.thumb.jpg.ce8caa097a03e7c52ca1741c391869bc.jpgp

I remember there were issues with some planetarium software showing the correct track of asteroid DA14 back in 2012. Some didn't take into account the Three Body Problem for Earth grazing asteroids. The writers of SkySafari improved their orbit calculating engine specifically to solve that very problem, vastly improving the plotting accuracy. Something I confirmed by my own successful observations.

It's not going to be an easy object, wherever it might be!

The comet seen just below the plotted track in the middle of the image is apparently, C/2015 V2 (Johnson) 

13 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Here is a screen shot of what SkySafari thinks the track will be:

Eeeek ! Thanks for checking,  that shows it well into Bootes, miles from my plot,  I had better do some investigating of my Stellarium !!

3 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Eeeek ! Thanks for checking,  that shows it well into Bootes, miles from my plot,  I had better do some investigating of my Stellarium !!

I'm not saying who's right. I'm doing some checking myself!

Archived