Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whose filters to use?

iapa

I was looking at the ZWO 1600MM cooled camera with the ZWO branded filers - the LRGB are optimised of this camera.

Imaging more that viewing - manly 'smallish' one (although a good set of data for M31 is in the top 1% of my list - for later this year).

Has anyone tried this setup, alongside using filters from a different company?

ZWO LRGB filter set is £139 

A Baader LRGB 'CCD' filter sets is about 60% more expensive. Other branded filters come in at even higher, or lower prices.

Are they that much better? 

You get 'what the market will bear' and 'expensive because it really is better'. Not sure which any filters fall into.

Not keen on buying something and returning as 'didnae like it'.

ATM in my ZWO filter wheel I have a mixture. The ZWO RGB set and an Astronomik CLS-CCD filter for L, while I borrowed my 3nm Astrodon for H-alpha.

I would not willingly forego my set of 3nm Astrodons.

I am another fan of the Astrodon narrow 3nm filters. They cost an arm and a leg, but at 3nm you really can get away with imaging Ha in almost a full moon..... That can only be good if due to the weather your imaging time is limited. There's no need to have the same filter in the camera.... I have a Hutech IDAS that I use as a luminance filter, Baader RGB and Astrodon NB. This means that the filters are not parfocal and need to be refocused in between filter changes, but with an auto focuser this is not a problem. 

Archived