????????????

Davey-T

NASA has scheduled a major press conference where it plans to reveal a new discovery about ‘ocean worlds in our solar system.’

While we don’t know the specifics of what NASA will reveal the agency has confirmed that what has been discovered will “inform future ocean world exploration...and the broader search for life beyond Earth.”

The conference is scheduled for Thursday April 13 at 7PM UK time and will focus on new discoveries around ocean worlds within our own solar system.

According to NASA the results will utilise data from the now-doomed Cassini spacecraft and the Hubble Space Telescope.

Dave

Did anyone see any detail about the flythrough Cassini did around late 2015? I seem to remember stuff about various organics found, though this was purely a chemical analysis of course.

Europa has plumes too apparently - discovered a year or so back by Hubble I think.

So maybe they want to do a follow up mission to one of those places and do more detailed analysis? Wild guess.

36 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

No surprise there but hope they leave Europa alone, we have been warned. 

Alan

While I am all for scientific curiosity and exploration, part of me wishes we had an early 'prime directive' on observing remotely and not littering either world with our probes

12 minutes ago, bejay1957 said:

While I am all for scientific curiosity and exploration, part of me wishes we had an early 'prime directive' on observing remotely and not littering either world with our probes

I couldn't agree more, it is impossible to make a spacecraft sterile and while Mars might be a fair target due to the interchange of matter between the two since their formation these relatively pristine worlds should be left alone. I am sure there is liquid water on or in many more objects in the solar system too.

Alan

7 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I couldn't agree more, it is impossible to make a spacecraft sterile and while Mars might be a fair target due to the interchange of matter between the two since their formation these relatively pristine worlds should be left alone. I am sure there is liquid water on or in many more objects in the solar system too.

Alan

IIRC on earlier ideas/plans, there would steps to build and maintain what would be 'mini-sub' probes in sterile environment(s), but what would be the power source - nuclear?

Archived