SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Andromeda in North hemisphere

Andromeda is very close to the horizon here in UK at night at the moment and in India will probably be below it for most of the hours of darkness.  

Six months from now, in October or November say, it will be much higher above the horizon.  If you can find and recognise the 'great square' of Pegasus, that would be one way to find it.  The right hand bit of the "W" of Cassiopeia also points towards it.

The other thing is don't give up, I couldn't find it at all when I first got my scope - in early May - but now, four years on things have become easier, so good luck and keep trying!

50 minutes ago, almcl said:

Andromeda is very close to the horizon here in UK at night at the moment and in India will probably be below it for most of the hours of darkness.  

Six months from now, in October or November say, it will be much higher above the horizon.  If you can find and recognise the 'great square' of Pegasus, that would be one way to find it.  The right hand bit of the "W" of Cassiopeia also points towards it.

The other thing is don't give up, I couldn't find it at all when I first got my scope - in early May - but now, four years on things have become easier, so good luck and keep trying!

Very true. Not easy at the moment, worth going for other targets until it is better placed.

Orion is setting pretty early at this time year, too.

try M13 in Hercules. Galaxies in Leo and Virgo - if your skies are dark enough. The Ring nebula if you are up in the early hours - it will be well better placed in a couple of months.

have you got Stellarium, or other planetarium software on your PC? This will help to judge when objects will be visible.

And welcome to the forum :)

What i trnd to do with some of the apps, skyview etc is to change the time and dates.  I point the phone in the rough direction i will be observing say in the day time. Then by changing the dates and times i can see what will be in that area of sky in the future.  For example i was planning a session for last night so was wondering where orion would be at 10pm so by changing the time i could see it would be low in the horizon below our house making it impossible to see.

so this helps me plan my sessions a bit better.

Archived