Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Video processing issue

With the couple of decent nights we had last week I was able to finally get a view of Jupiter at opposition this year!

The problem I've been having is when I've processed the videos. I've been taking videos in RAW8 at a custom resolution (720×240) with a ASI120MC camera in sharpcap. I noticed that the image would jump about periodically causing part or all of Jupiter to flash to different parts of the frame. I hoped that when aligning with PIPP and then limiting the number of frames in Sarpcap to the 10% highest quality images that it'd go away but when I finish the image I get the strange line artifacts that are evident in the attached image, which are ruining the images.

The jumping didn't happen in "normal" resolutions so that seems to be the most obvious solution. I was wondering though if anyone had any advice of how to process the videos in PIPP/Registax/other program in order to delete these rogue frames?

Cheers guys.

Jupiter 08_04_17 (5).jpg

First question, why are you struggling with Sharpcap instead of using something better like Firecapture?

To salvage this, have you tried selecting highest quality frames with different programs in case one of them treats the bad frames correctly? PIPP has a function to do that, before stacking with either Autostakker or Registax each of those with their own algorithm.

This video capture malarkey is what I fancy doing, mainly for double stars. What are the main stacking programs you are discussing here? I know about registax, but it only deals with .avi. Is there any program that will stack 4K video?

Hi @ecuador, never tried using Firecapture, would you say it's a superior bit of software compared with Sharpcap? Do you know if it can handle custom resolutions in a more stable way than Sharpcap? As I'd like to get the moons in shot without a lot of empty space above and below eating at my fraerate. I'l try the quality estimator in PIPP and try Autostacker too. Thanks for the advice.

On 4/12/2017 at 20:21, Roysten said:

Hi @ecuador, never tried using Firecapture, would you say it's a superior bit of software compared with Sharpcap? Do you know if it can handle custom resolutions in a more stable way than Sharpcap? As I'd like to get the moons in shot without a lot of empty space above and below eating at my fraerate. I'l try the quality estimator in PIPP and try Autostacker too. Thanks for the advice.

Firecapture is much more stable and handles ROI changes way better in my experience with webcams, point grey cams and QHY cams - you will easily frame exactly the planet you want and get a good frame rate. I've never had an ASI, but I assume it would perform similarly (although a friend had a lot of driver problems trying to guide with the ASI120MC - I think the USB3 version).

Archived