Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M82

Well here is the picture (and a crop for good measure)

HaLRGBv20crop.thumb.png.654bd7257bdf077c4ac41fa9cc0206cd.png

58ebda68b175b_HaLRGBv20smallcrop.thumb.png.6abe18d6d4af17fbe67b4ce2bd5a7f52.png

And here is the blurb (you can tell I enjoyed this one as I actually typed something about it :) )

I recently published a well-received version of M81, it seemed rude not to process its compatriot.

In order to realise all the details you could argue the image is actually a L, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, L, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, RGB, RGB, RGB, RGB, RGB, RGB, rather than just a HaLRGB image!
In order to realise all the details I have been persisting with my (very time-consuming approach) of building the main layers from multiple stretches of the main frames from very dark to very light, a manual HDR (but with full control) most of the work is done in PI but the layering and masking has to be done in PS for control. I am finding at the longer focal lengths this really lets me realise all details from the dark (often washed out by brightness on such targets) to the very light, I can even stretch beyond the limit to realise the fainter details.
Anyway, hope you all like - not a quick process taking about 8 hours solid to process over a few days.
As well as realising some great detail I was pleased to see the inner structures showing well including the mushroom shape to the right and the double boundary of the left side (inner ring just about visible)

Thanks for looking C&C welcomed.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's about the most detailed M82 I have ever seen.  At first glance I wanted to say that the saturation may be a bit high--but upon closer inspection it becomes apparent that the red does not bleed at all into the surroundings--not sure if there is Ha in there, but the color definition is amazing. A very clean image.  Great job!

Rodd

2 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Superb images

Thank you Michael

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

That's about the most detailed M82 I have ever seen.  At first glance I wanted to say that the saturation may be a bit high--but upon closer inspection it becomes apparent that the red does not bleed at all into the surroundings--not sure if there is Ha in there, but the color definition is amazing. A very clean image.  Great job!

Rodd

Yes, there is Ha as well sorry forgot to add the blurb!  Everything was very intentional (be it a good or bad choice on my part!) glad you  liked, I was happy with this one.

53 minutes ago, RSM said:

Spectacular. Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks Richard

51 minutes ago, morimarty said:

What a beautiful galaxy M82 is Paddy and your image as really done it proud excellent.

Thanks Martyn - I just made a pretty picture, looking at the turmoil in that galaxy I would say it is doing all the hard work.

32 minutes ago, laudropb said:

That really is superb Paddy.

Thanks - appreciate feedback.

Yep, gobsmacking was the exact word I was thinking of!

You must have a lot more patience than I with that 8 hours of processing. Which optics and FL did you use if you don't mind me asking? And total integration time?

16 hours ago, toxic said:

another gobsmakingly great image Paddy :thumbright:

Thanks Chris - appreciate comment

2 hours ago, Shibby said:

Yep, gobsmacking was the exact word I was thinking of!

You must have a lot more patience than I with that 8 hours of processing. Which optics and FL did you use if you don't mind me asking? And total integration time?

1 hour ago, harry page said:

Hi

well that's a top job indeed

what scope did you use to capture this ?  your listed scopes are all short F/L ?

Regards

Harry

Thanks Lewis/Harry - Sorry sig is out of date and failed to mention in blurb!  This was on a 14.5" RCOS - c27 hours or data in HaLRGB.  

1 hour ago, Filroden said:

That's an exquisite image. I've never seen that much detail. Amazing job at capturing and processing it!

Thanks Ken - took some work with my custom approach but it does seem to pay off.  Nothing fancy just lots of patience!

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

What to say? You have it all in this one. Go any deeper and you'll come out of the other side... :icon_mrgreen:

Olly

Thanks Olly - think you know when it's going well and you realise there is nothing else I can do with the data.  I try the deeper bit, maybe a view from the other side is achievable!?

2 hours ago, Peco4321 said:

That is one of the most beautiful images of our universe that I have ever seen. Thanks for your efforts, it's simply stunning. 

Thanks Peter - appreciate comment.

13 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Wow! Like a firework going off in space! Beautiful! Very well done! Exquisite! :) 

Thanks Gus - appreciate the feedback.

14 hours ago, artem said:

Superb images, amazing details.. 

Cheers

Martin:icon_albino:

Thanks Martin - the refined approach does help find more detail than normal, especially on objects this bright.

14 hours ago, Debo said:

:icon_biggrin: Superb

Thanks Den

11 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Another top notch image Paddy from the big RCOS.  Well done.

Thanks Barry - enjoying this scope at the moment :) 

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

>BOGGLE<

That's seriously serious... I thought you had used data from a professional observatory.

Noce gear but all amateur - apprecaite feedback.

2 hours ago, tomato said:

Another breath taking image, your patience on the processing has been well rewarded, just so much stunning detail.

Steve

Thanks Steve - not sure about patience!  More sheer stubborness and determination to squeeze out every bit I can.  Figure if its taken 11m ly for the light to travel here; providing ita few hours of my time seemed only fair ;) 

2 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Absolutely terrific image Paddy, I'd love to see another couple of panels showing M81 at this scale with this processing.

You wish is my command - well almost.  Will post up M81 and M82 hybrid onto a drizzled background from 8" scope later today.  Thanks for comment

Archived