sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Panoptic or Meade SWA?

I've recently swapped my 8" Meade SCT for a Celestron C9.25.  As result I've reviewing my eyepiece collection.  Whilst I've decided that I don't need to add any new focal lengths it has got me thinking about possibly upgrading my Meade 5000 series 20mm SWA (68deg FOV).

With such a long focal length on the C9.25 (2350mm), am I likely to get an significant increase in the quality of the view if I swap the 20mm Meade 5000 SWA for a 19mm Televue Panoptic?

You'll get about the same image quality from the Panoptic, a slightly higher magnification and a slightly smaller true fov.

There is probably another change you could make that would have more impact.

The 19 Panoptic is a lovely little eyepiece and sharp as a tack, but I doubt you'd notice much improvement (if any?) in image "quality" over the Meade 20mm. Those 5000 series Meades are no slouch!

Having owned all the Meade range and most of the Panoptic range I would say the TeleVues are better at the edges but only in faster scopes, at F10 I can't say there was a massive different and I have reviewed most of them and written them up on site.To this day I wonder why I kept the 41mm Pan over the 40mm SWA as the Panoptic vignettes on my 12 inch SC whereas the Meade didn't. Unless you are going faster save you money.

My 20mm SWA (actually a Maxvision rebrand) is a favourite for me! It has all the sharpness of the 24mm SWA and none of its field curvature (in a F/6 newt)! And the best feature of them all is that I got it second-hand for just 40£!