Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi,
I was asked on a Swedish forum to put an "Astronomical Dictionary" on my homepage. I have made a test page in an easy form. Astronomical related words linked to wikipedia.

It aims to the beginners in astronomy so it should not be too complicated words.

http://astrofriend.eu/astronomy/astronomical-dictionary/astronomical-dictionary.html

Let me know if it's useful and and I shall add more words.

/Lars

Edited by Astrofriend
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Yes, I use it a lot myself, wikipedialinks with information that I link to is very usefull and of high quality.

I have added many more astronomical words since last.

Lars

Edited by Astrofriend
  • Thanks 1

When i read the opening post, i thought "Oh hell, my Swedish is non-existent". Its a very informative site. I typically use Wiki if i want to read up on anything astro related.

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the comment.

I try to use english on most of my pages, but not very skilled on it. But better now after a couple of years with my homepage when I'm forced to use english. Swedish is very limited when searching answers on internet.

We are soon in the summerseason and then we can't do any observations. How about your place?

Lars

Hi TsRobot,

Yes that astrograph is a gem. There are other instruments there too. One 40" Newton reflector, one twin refractor 20" and 24", one meridian instrument and a couple of smaller instrument. Top of the line in 1930s, Carl Zeiss.

Do you have any old observatoies around?

Lars

Edited by Astrofriend

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Naveen
      Hi all - looking for some
      advice on eyepieces. I have seen beautiful views of Jupiter with its moons and Saturn and of course the moon. I have two extra 32mm and 10mm plossls but am looking for better lenses for planets which will show more detail? Which ones would you suggest? Many thanks in advance!
    • By alex_stars
      Hi All,
      I thought I report on an issue I recently faced with my Celestron AVX mount that features the new dual saddle plate. The plate takes two standards of dovetails, the narrow CG-5 dovetails and wider CGE. Most people know the CG-5 as a "Vixen Style" dovetail and the CGE is Celestron's version of a 3" (but not compatible with a Losmandy) dovetail.
      Now the issue. I own a 7" Mak (Skymax 180 from SW) which has a classical Vixen-Style dovetail. When you try to clamp the 7" Mak to the AVX, the saddle plate clamp does not really fit.  Interestingly the 7" Mak has too large of a diameter to fit the AVX saddle, which comes to a surprise, given that a C8 or a C9.25 are popular choices for that mount.

As you can see on image, on the left side, the clamp rests on the OTA and the dovetail does not touch the clamp on the bottom. When you tighten the fixing screws, tension is built up between the clamp and the OTA and not between the clamp and the dovetail. In addition this makes it quite harder to balance the OTA on the mount (the clamp-tube jams). In the end the OTA will get a dent at that location, I guess. Luckily I caught this right a way and my OTA is not yet damaged.
      Anyhow for some this might not be an issue, but I changed the AVX clamp and now use an aftermarket clamp from ADM.
      Thought I share this with the community as this might be interesting for some.
      Clear skies
      Alex
    • By laks20
      Hi
      I own a Skywatcher SynScan 130P Explorer but I find it does not take good astro images and now I hardly use it  which is really sad and with some money coming in the next few months I want to sell it and buy another good scope to support taking pics of the night sky. 
      Well, my question and I need  advice : Since I am really enjoying photographing the night sky at the moment, I am using my Canon 70 D on a good tripod with Samyung 14mm or Tokina 11- 14mm. I have got some ok pics from this of the Milky Way but I am not greatly  satisfied with the results much. As an upgrade, I am keen on buying a star tracker  and a astro modified camera( or something similar to this ). (I want to kick myself as I sold my Canon 450D two years ago for £100) Do you think I should ?  Is this useful ? Can I use the Star tracker with my canon 70D? Also, If I get the star tracker will a astro modified camera help me take better pics. I have seen some stuff on You tube , but I am confused. Also , If I buy another scope will I be able to use the modified camera with that ?
      Sorry for asking so many questions. 
    • By astrosathya
      Hi Everyone,
      I am thinking of re-starting mirror grinding at home. I used to grind by hand and in this method, when we use the 1/3rd off-centre strokes for hogging out the sagitta, the upper glass becomes concave and would be polished into a mirror. 
      However, this time I'd like to build a Mirror-O-Matic or something similar and do not understand that if the tool is on top, how will the bottom glass become concave? 
      Or am I mistaken?
      Please advice.

• By Kate_C
      Stargazers Lounge community,
      The sci-fi novel I wrote takes place in a binary star system and I'm attempting to fact check before handing over to my agent. From what I gather, there are S-type, P-type & T-type systems, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the orbital possibilities. Hoping someone's expertise can help! Would it be theoretically possible to have a planet in a binary star system where there is a daily "pre-sunrise" and a "pre (or post) sunset" due to the dimmer star? And could there be daily syzygy with the stars or might it need to be less frequent? If anyone can advise or has any suggestions, it would be so appreciated! Thank you!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.