SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazers template problem

Okay this follows on from Andy's report of a problem with the Stargazers Template.

Well i've given it a go at work using various PC's and can report there is a problem.

I'm getting a major slow down on the older PC's. All the PC's that run Windows 2000 and Explorer 6.0 are crawling when the Stargazers template is used. The same result with Firefox on the older Windows 2000 PC's.

I have a feeling that this maybe the animated background causing the problem. I wonder if we can try with the same background but with the animation turned off?

I get no problem with the newer PC's running WinXP.

Regards

Russ

Just asked our IT guy and he's 100% sure it's the animated background. I think there's no doubt it is.

So what shall we do? I think there's still a lot of people out there running earlier versions of Windows and with slower older hardware.

Can we have two versions of the template:

WinXP compatible with animation turned on

Win2K/Win98 compatible with animation turned off

Regards

Russ

That would make sense Russ, the only thing I can add is that my PC is running very slow ATM with this template(stargazers).

I'm going to try restarting my machine as it hasn't been turned off for about a month... I'll report back in a mo.

Ant

Not sure about this... I think from an internet point of view go for the quickest least problem style that everyone can use!!... however a choice by user does seem a sensible option.

Rob

russ, not knowing how these templates are created / administered....

is it a headache mainting two versions of the same template, or can you simply repoint the background to a different image url.

Just thinking that if you can't then you would have to remember to duplicate every bug fix and update to both templates....

Just a thought

Darren

I've changed the template to use an unanimated background, I think it's probably best not to have the animated version at all because I checked, and even on my computer it made the processor run at 95%, I didn't notice it before because it's fast enough to cope, but if I had lots of windows open, or was doing other stuff then it would take awhile to do things.

Hopefully this is better for everyone?

I've just used the Space3K template and all the buttons were missing [profile - PM - WWW - Quote] etc. But I quite like the one that I'm using now.

Just can't remember what it was called :oops:

Al.

Archived