SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newbie Helios 150 focusing issue

Hi All,

I'm very very new to this - so be gentle with me! I've inherited a Helios 150 telescope which I'm learning how to work. I observed the Moon through this a few years back, and it was brilliant, and I'm keen to share the sight with my children.

The problem is I can't seem to focus the view finder. I can find the Moon of the spotter scope, very clearly, but when I look through the main eyepiece - a PLOSSL 10mm - I can see the light of the Moon in the back ground , but can only seem to focus on tree branches that are in the foreground- very clear relief - in the foreground.

What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it if possible? Very grateful for any replies. Thanks.

Hello, and welcome,

It sounds to me that the finderscope is not aligned with the main tube of the telescope.  You can do that by focussing the main telescope onto Polaris, the north star, then once it's there in the center of the eyepiece it will not move.  Polaris doesn't move; not that we can notice, even if we observed it for several nights in a row.  Then, align the finderscope, with its adjustment screws, and aim it at Polaris.  The finderscope will then be aligned with the main telescope.

If Polaris is not visible in your area, you can use most any bright star, but those stars will move, so you have to be quick.  You can also use a bright point source in the distance during the day, like the Sun glinting off something shiny several miles away.

Alan may well be right. If the Finder is not lined up, then you would see the moon very clearly in it, but would only see the background glare of it in the main eyepiece. I would pan around a little until you get the moon in the eyepiece (at which point it will be off centered or not in the Finder), then try focusing it.

Archived