Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter in poor seeing

mikeDnight

Although the night looked great, there was a lot of fast moving air that intermitantly degraded the view. The poor seeing became more apparent once I tried to sketch the view, as although at the eyepiece there were some detailed views, trying to pin things down accurately was near impossible.

Mike

2017-04-09 20.27.01.jpg

Good effort Mike and particularly as challenged a little by variable seeing conditions. Actually your drawing acts as a good reference and reminder for my observational encounter last night. I was visiting and sharing the view with family in Thornton Cleveleys Lancashire, so probably not a great distance from yourself. I was using my TV76, 5mm XW and the image was crisp and clear and greatly appreciated. Would perhaps have liked a bit more power, yet the Pentax is incredibly sharp, revealing and complementary to this scope and the features you have illustrated were very subtly apparent.    

12 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Good effort Mike and particularly as challenged a little by variable seeing conditions. Actually your drawing acts as a good reference and reminder for my observational encounter last night. I was visiting and sharing the view with family in Thornton Cleveleys Lancashire, so probably not a great distance from yourself. I was using my TV76, 5mm XW and the image was crisp and clear and greatly appreciated. Would perhaps have liked a bit more power, yet the Pentax is incredibly sharp, revealing and complementary to this scope and the features you have illustrated were very subtly apparent.    

Hi Iain,

Yes, Cleveleys is about a 50 min drive from me. I should have dropped the power a bit and may be I'd have got a sharper view. I can't complain too much as I've had a couple of outstanding nights over the last week.

Mike

Nice drawing Mike.

I had great views of Jupiter through several different scopes at the BAA Winchester week-end that I've just returned home from. Fantastic seeing on Friday with a wealth of detail visible. Tolerable seeing (but better transparency) on Saturday.

All the best,

Jeremy

Archived