Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep24_banner.thumb.jpg.56e65b9c9549c15ed3f06e146fc5f5f1.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
trevboyd

M71? August 24

I think this is M71 in Sagitta, but having checked it against the photo on SEDS, I'm not 100% sure...

http://www.seds.org/messier/m/m071.html

This is the first time I've seen this object - not one of the more famous Messiers!

Canon 350D, C8-N

9x30s @ ISO-1600

7927_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Trev

Compared the star field on SN pro 4 and it definitely fits. North is towards the right of the image. The bright star at the bottom is 9-sagittae

I saw this one last night also for the first time - I like it. I resolved it fully with averted vision. It looks like an open cluster at low magnification because it's so loose for a glob.

Nice shot, by the way!

Andrew

Nice image Trev. Nicely focused and good tracking.

I too looked at this a few nights (or was it weeks) ago and resolved it with averted vision. A nice little cluster.

I also had a play with the image, hope you don't mind? I'm not skilled at this, haven't done it for a few years. Just wanted to try and darken the background sky.

Russ

post-12650-133877345551_thumb.jpg

Yes it is definitely M71. Your image has North at the right, the SEDS page has North at the bottom, so rotate yours 90° clockwise to match up. I had a go at this last year and also felt it looked more like an open cluster than a glob.: in fact it reminds me most of a fainter version of M11.

This is a very nice clear image, excellent focus and tracking, but I'd like to see it with more colour, especially considering its location in the thick of the MW. I picked up quite a lot of colour in attempt with the 350D: try increasing the saturation before clipping the black point, perhaps?

M71 is a bit like M56 in Lyra. Both appear like small, tight open clusters rather than a globular.

I think Trev has a lot more information in his original image. I pushed the Jpg downloaded from here and the image was loaded with hundreds more stars.

Russ

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

I've had another play with it to try and darken the background a little more like Russ', but keep some colours:

7928_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

The raw stacked TIFF is at http://www.trevboyd.com/images/content/AstroPhotos/M71-2008-08-24-stack-9-4m30s.TIF if anyone is interested - it has more colour, but has a really bad gradient. I think its from the streetlight outside my garden wall :)

Trev

Sorry for spamming the thread, but I've had another go. This time, I discovered that my "GradientXTerminator" filter hasn't expired in PhotoShop, so I used that to remove the red gradient rather than PixInsight. It seems to have done a much better job, producing much less of a purple cast to the image, allowing me to darken the sky and keep the "proper" star colours.

7930_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Last one, I promise! :)

Trev

Ooo! It's let darken the background time! :)

Heres my take on the image.

Sorry Trev.

CW

Click as usual.